Wednesday, August 15, 2012

QUESTIONS

Here are a few questions I learned from reading and from talking with others that I try to ask myself about me and our church on a regular basis ...

If our church disappeared, would anyone in our community notice?
I'd like to think that a great force for good - for compassion - for integrity and honesty - for impact - and for the Kingdom of God would be gone in our city.


Why do people come to KFA?
If people come because we have great music or good preaching or amazing student ministries, that's not enough.  If we're a church geared exclusively for Christians, maybe some adjustments need to be made.  If people come because they're far from God and their friends invite them because they think our church is awesome and they can explore the claims of Jesus there, I'd feel good about that.


'If our church disappeared, would anyone in our community notice?'


Where is my personal time and energy being spent?
This is more a leadership question, but if I'm just active during the day, it could be mindless activity.  If my goal is to be 'on task' and 'effective' and 'pushing the ball upfield,' that's way better.

Am I focusing on my strengths?
It has taken me years to learn this, and I think I'm still grappling with it, but I need to concentrate on what I'm good at, not on what I stink at.  When organizations are coached, they're coached to their weaknesses; when individuals are coached, they're coached to their strengths.  What are your strengths and do you spend 80% of your time doing those rather than other things?

Am I passionate about what God has called me to?
I've been asking myself each year if I still want to do what I'm doing now.  The last thing my church needs is a pastor who doesn't want to be there.  I'm still passionate about KFA and about reaching Kenosha for Jesus.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the heart of KFA. There can be no better pastor than you. When I feel so far from Jesus, I still am grateful to have KFA there. I would definitely miss KFA if you were gone. It is my rock. Someplace that I can go for help. You have been my Jesus with skin and I am very grateful for our friendship, but it is more than that. KFA is a place of refuge when I can't take another day. I can pray at home, but in church, for me, it feels more holy. I can only explain it this way....when I am at home, I TALK to God...like my Father, my friend. When I am at church, it feels more sacred. It is His house. I don't even know if that is the right way to think about it, but I do. I'm really glad you still are passionate about your calling. I still have my struggles, but you and KFA have given me a haven...being there is like a warm hug from Jesus. Many thanks to you, PK.

Anonymous said...

PK I am so grateful that you are so passionate about kfa I feel the same as the comment above. I don't know what i would do without you or your wife. So many times you have lifted me up. You are my gateway to Jesus. When I was having difficulty connecting you and many other KFA members held me together through those hard times and accepted me for my brokenness, just as Jesus would. Thank you for the time you take and tje hearts you put back together when we come in pieces. I am proud of our church and am always bringing new people. The spirit is sooo alive!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes! We love you PK and we love the KFA community! Although everyone and everything will change and shift (Matt 7:26). Great and abundant is God's stability and faithfulness (Lam 3:22-23) We can laugh at the days to come (Pr 31:25) We can courageously love and give our hearts with a holy brazenness to believe what God says, enjoy what he offers, and do what he commands.