Sunday, March 11, 2012

BOWLING

I just found out today that there are churches with bowling alleys in their basements.  I didn’t know.  We have a basketball court at KFA - a beautiful, full-sized gym - but I had no idea we could have built a bowling alley.  Some churches build swimming pools.  Several have put up entire health clubs that are open to the public as a way of being part of the community.  

I love the radical spirit of that.  But, a bowling alley?  I just never thought.

I imagine a bride and groom walking down the aisle while the unmistakable sound of balls crashing into pins is going on right underneath them ... or bowling teams coming to church with their silk shirts on, ducking out of my message a little early to toss a few practice balls before the big afternoon match. 

Actually, I just read that bowling alleys are disappearing from churches.  Shucks - just when I’ve just discovered them.  Evidently there are fewer than 200 left across the country.  Only 200!

Apparently Milwaukee alone once had thirteen churches with bowling alleys - but after all, it is called America’s Tenpin Capital. 

I don’t know what I think about it.  I’ll mull it over while I’m pressing weights in our church weight room this week.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Bowling kids party favors said...

Their bowling place is very nice and cozy.