Wednesday, February 22, 2012

STORM

Sometimes this is what we say to God: “God, You’re the King, You’re the boss, You’re perfect, You know everything, You’re right ... and I disagree with You.”  Seriously?  Every time we sin, that’s what we’re saying with our actions.


He knows what He's doing - we should just follow what He says regardless of our circumstances, our feelings, our own best knowledge and wisdom, our friends' counsel -- just follow what God has to say.  No.  I mean, all of it.  Because already you have started to qualify that in your mind.  


You have already boiled it down to nine-out-of-ten commandments.  "My dad was pretty rough - gonna pass on that 'Honor your mother and father' one."   

You have already narrowed it to seven-of-nine fruit of the Spirit.  "It's just that patience one and that self-control one I'm going to have to think about giving 100% to.  Otherwise, I'm good."

“God, You’re the King, You’re the boss, You’re perfect, You know everything, You’re right ... and I disagree with You.”

Jesus talks about building a house so that when the storms come, it's built on something solid enough to withstand the torrent.  Otherwise it's like building on sand, and we all know how long that's going to last.  Same with your life.

And Jesus is saying: trouble, strife, turmoil, difficulty, hardship will come.  You might lose your job.  You might get sick.  That isn't me speaking what some call ‘negative confession.'  That’s what Jesus says.  'In this world, you will have trouble.'  Make no mistake about it.  But He goes on to say: ’Don’t fear because I have overcome the world.’ 



Because a storm will come.  And some people pay no attention to the foundation of their lives.  You don’t want to be standing in the rain trying to get the foundation under the thing when you’re in the middle of the storm.  It’s a little late at that point.

I want the very best for your life - but the truth is, it’s your life.  You can blame other people.  You can excuse yourself.  You can pass the buck ... or you can take responsibility and say, “My life, my foundation, my responsibility.”
 


And be blessed.

No comments: