Thursday, December 2, 2010

SABBATH

Someone asked me about 'the Sabbath' the other day - what it meant - why we don't follow it like they used to - if we should follow it in different ways than we currently do.

I pondered it and, as usual, in my answer - ultimately went a whole different direction.

Often we communicate that God is up in heaven monitoring His cosmic seating chart, demanding that all the church buildings be full on Sundays. Gee ... I'm not sure.

Church gatherings were never the intended goal; they were the natural result of people finding others who were living the Alternative Kingdom Story. The goal of our missional lives is not to grow churches. The goal of church is to grow missionaries. The goal of the Gospel is not to get people into church. The result of the Gospel is that people will find each other and then gather together because of the deep meaning of a common experience.

We have the exhortation in Hebrews 10:24, 25 of course that says: 'Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another.'

But that was not a plea for people to get their lazy fannies out of bed and into church on Sunday. It was an encouragement for early Christians who feared for their lives, hiding in dark alleys, seeing their friends killed, to gather despite great persecution. It was a plea for people to push past their fears and come together with those of like mission - with those who were in desperate need of being encouraged by the stories of those whose lives were also in peril because of the Gospel.

Either way that's what I need yet today.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How timely...I just today picked up the dvd of your sermon Sunday. :) When I have to work right after church, I don't always go. I put in a request for Sundays off, but they didn't approve it, as the weekends are high traffic. It's unfortunate, because I think it would be good for my soul and, also, make me a happier and more productive and cheerful worker. I will resubmit it after the holidays, though.

Anyway, that is how my Sabbath goes. Lol....you do make me smile, with your reference to "lazy fannies". :) I am a night owl, by nature...so second service it is for me. Lol...maybe, someday, you should consider a Saturday night service. :) Hmmmm....or is that too much work? JK!

PK's BLOG said...

Not too much work at all - stay tuned. You may be 'prophetic' with that.

Anonymous said...

That is very exciting! Just for the record, I was just teasing you! It's just cause I like you... :) Looking forward to the dvd!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Kevin,
I was having some chest pain again and went / failed a stress test yesterday. I'll be going for an angiogram and possible stenting next week. After 2 of these proceedures back in April and May (with 3 stints installed), I'm pretty use to this and am ok with it all but Beelinda and the kids are concerned / worried. So if you could pray for them, much apprecite that. Thanks
Rich Fetingis

PK's BLOG said...

Certainly will do friend.