Monday, October 11, 2010

GIMMICK

My goal today is to talk you out of following Jesus.

Still reading? Good.

'Yeah ... I know what this is. This is one of those reverse psychology gimmicky things pastors do. Tell them you're going to try to talk them out of something, and they'll respond the opposite way in droves. You think we're morons?'

But I don't think a 'gimmick' was what Jesus had in mind when He used that approach Himself. It's in Luke chapter 9. Three men approach Jesus, seemingly eager to follow Him. But Jesus tries to talk each of them out of it.

Guy #1: "Jesus, I'll follow You wherever You go." Jesus said: "Foxes have holes, birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head." In other words, if you're going to follow Me, you might expect some discomfort ahead - even homelessness.

Guy #2: "My father just died. I need to go back and take care of that and then I'll follow." Jesus: "Let the dead bury the dead." I can't imagine hearing those words. 'Let somebody else take care of that; there are more important things for you to do.'

Guy #3: "I want to follow You, but I have some people to say goodbye to first ... it'll just take me a few minutes." Jesus: "Nobody who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the Kingdom of God." This relationship requires complete devotion, superior priority and exclusive attention.

Become homeless.
Let someone else bury your dad.
Don't even say goodbye to your family.
And from all we can tell from Luke chapter 9, Jesus was successful at dissuading the three from following.

It was not a gimmick to get more followers. He was simply making it bold and clear from the outset that if you follow Him, you abandon everything in comparison.

What if that was you? What if you were the person Jesus told not to even bother going back to say goodbye to your family? Because that scenario is entirely possible if you follow Him.

But we don't want to believe that, do we? So we do some heavy rationalizing and say: "Well, He didn't really mean that. It was an allegory. What He really meant was ... "

And this is where we need to pause. Because we are starting to re-define Christianity. We are in danger of twisting Jesus into a version we're more comfortable with. A nice, middle-class, American Jesus. A Jesus who would never think of asking us to forsake our very closest relationships in order to have one with Him. A Jesus who is pretty much fine with nominal devotion that doesn't infringe on our comforts - because - after all, He loves us just the way we are. A Jesus who wants us to be 'balanced.'

But you realize what we're doing at that point ... we are molding Jesus into our image. He's starting to look a little bit more like us, rather than the other way around. After all, WE are who we're most comfortable with.

And the danger now is that when we gather in our church buildings to sing and pray and lift our hands in praise, we may not actually be worshipping the Jesus of the Bible. Instead, we may be worshipping ourselves.

'Gimmick?' I don't think so.

And be blessed.

10 comments:

Darren said...

if you ever consider writing a book... there's your title and topic. great insight.

Anonymous said...

Those are hard words. I like to think of Jesus as a loving God who would not say those harsh things. However, I have seen people come to know Jesus here and they are afraid to tell their family. I pray with them and hope God will give them wisdom. A bad response from the family could be a difficult thing for a new believer but it may also be trouble for me or my team. We always need the Holy Spirit's wisdom. Pray for Vietnam!

Anonymous said...

I am one who imagines Jesus as a softer, more loving Jesus. I relate to Him most sincerely in that way. Maybe I am mistaken.

PK...I have a true question. If Jesus asks us to love others, as we love ourselves, then why did he ask these men to leave their families...without burying them or saying goodbye? Isn't their love for their families a positive thing? Can't He understand or was He trying to prove a point? I don't understand that part of it.

Could you really turn your back on Joelene or one your girls? Why would He even ask that? What point is He trying to make?

Jesus loves like none of us can imagine, but these types of things leave me with great questions about who is this God really? Is He so egotistical that He can't stand our love for others, when He commands it? It makes no sense to me.

I'm pretty sure you can see that I might very well be one who is talked out of following Him. Maybe if I met Him in person, I would understand more and be so enamored with Him that I would just go. It's hard to say, never having to be asked that question.

I know you prefer blind devotion, but I have real questions about who Jesus really IS vs my thoughts of Him.

PK's BLOG said...

I don't prefer 'blind devotion' at all. It's focused and centered, but hardly blind.

Jesus is hardly egotistical. He is just completely worthy of our service. He calls Himself a jealous God too -- and some people think that means he is egotistical, but it simply means He wants us body-soul-mind-spirit, with no other gods before Him. That includes family, though it isn't something we like to think or talk about much.

Anonymous said...

When you continue to love as he instructs.
You'll see it is not the kind of love you think its suppose to be. I myself am learning to understand the misconception about the true meaning of love. Godly love versus's wordly love is complete opposite. I don't believe he was being egotistical. As you learn to love the way he does you'll know and see how much love he truly is.Following him at the drop of a dime (placing him first) will be loving your family and friend first.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Jesus words do seem hard, but then He says' I will never leave you nor forsake you."..I am The Good Shepherd Who lays down His life for His Sheep. Can't ask for anyone to love you more then that..and also "Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you.".

Anonymous said...

That is why I hold on to him with all my might! That little bit of understanding how great his love is makes it worth the faith:) I can't resist to find out how his love works more every day. We are truly blessed we just need to stay faithful and keep our eyes on his way not the world. "Boy" talk about unprograming yourself, eh? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah one other comment I needed to add.... It is only hard if we let it be hard;) I am finding the more I empty the vessel there is more room for him. Then I am made more aware of his meaning. I want and pray that everyone in this whole world to give him just one chance, just one.... Let him share with you his love. I know you won't want to go backwards it would be impossible. Just as it seemed impossible to move on forward.

PK's BLOG said...

MAKING IT EASY TO FIND AND EXPERIENCE GOD! Our KFA mission statement.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing others thoughts on the blog! You all are such an encouragement! I just came home after a tiring day at work, but this was a nice surprise to read. :)