Friday, January 29, 2010

CAPARNAUM-SEA OF GALILEE-GOLAN HEIGHTS - JORDAN RIVER


Today in Israel began with an amazing breakfast buffet at THE SCOTS HOTEL in Tiberias ... I can't even begin to write all that was on the buffet ... just know this: they serve hot chocolate cake for BREAKFAST. My kind of place.

* Drive thru date, olive and avocado groves. Scenery included large volcanic black rocks.

* Stop at the Church of the Beatitudes, where Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount. This place jolted me - to realize this was the hillside where, "Our Father ... who art in Heaven ... hallowed be Thy Name," took place.

* Stop at the city of Capernaum, the city where Jesus spent much of His life. Ancient Capernaum has been excavated, revealing - among other things - the home/location of the apostle Peter's mother-in-law.

* Boat ride on the Sea of Galilee (pictured above). I loved this moment. Jesus calmed the waters on this very Sea (which is actually a big lake). He fished with His disciples. He tried to get away from the crowds by venturing out onto it. During the boat ride, we all participated in a Jewish dance (no cameras, please).

* Lunch at a seaside restaurant featured a whole fish on my plate - head, eyes, bones, tail and all. I only ate the edible parts.

* Stop at Mensa Christi Church, where Jesus fed the 4,000. There was a moving moment here as one of the pastors presented a short devotional for the group and we sang "JESUS LOVES ME" in beautiful 4-part harmony in this echoey chamber.

* Travel to Golan Heights, separating Israel from Syria (pictured below). It is a beautiful location of lush hills and mountains. Much tension and attention as been focused on this part of the world over the years because of the fighting over possession of this land. Once you have been to the Heights, you can see why Israel is reluctant to compromise their release. It's such a strategic piece of land for their safety.

* Stop at the Jordan River, where Jesus was baptized. Joelene and I decided to be baptized ourselves. The tour leader baptized me, then I baptized Joelene. What a great experience. PS ... the water was bone-chillingly cold, but we didn't care.

* Dinner at THE SCOTS HOTEL.

This has been a fantastic day.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Darren said...

everything is so incredible... keep the details comin!

Unknown said...

The Mount of Beatitudes was also one of my favorite sites. It is so serene, and the chapel is beautiful.

Unknown said...

I think Tiberias which sits along the shoreline of the Sea of Galilee is an amazingly beautiful place. If I were given the opportunity to choose an exotic destination of my dreams - I would go to Tiberias. The place is just full of charisma and mystery which I love.

Hotels in Tiberias