Wednesday, August 26, 2009

KINDLE


I was ordering some freshman University books for our youngest daughter via Amazon.com this week. I'd forgotten how expensive they were. You can get used ones at a fraction of the cost once you've convinced your daughter that 'used' is not 'uncool.'

So I conquered that mountain and put them in the 'Amazon cart' and checked out. Joelene wasn't home so I decided to leave the screen up for her so when she came home, she could see what we'd ordered.

The next day she arrived home and so we sat down to check it out together. I refreshed the screen and then starting reading to her what we had gotten for Olivia. I read the first title we'd ordered - then the second - the third - the fourth - the fifth - the sixth. That should have been it. Six books. But I noticed a seventh item on the 'recently purchased' page and I didn't recognize it. I looked puzzled and started to read the title to Joelene out loud ... 'KINDLE DX: 9.7" READING DEVICE.' I said: "What's THAT? A book called 'KINDLE DX?' I didn't order any title like that for Olivia!"

Then I looked over at her and she had the reddest face alive. Turns out she had gone online the day before while in Minneapolis and used the same Amazon.com account to order a 50th birthday gift for me - end of next month. So it appeared at the bottom of the 'recently purchased list' once I refreshed the screen to view my orders. GOTCHA!

So -- though she was frustrated, she agreed to let me have my birthday KINDLE DX a month early and I'm already using it. It is wireless no matter where you are and you can download thousands of books onto it. I love it. If you're not sure what a KINDLE DX is, it's pictured here and at www.amazon.com/kindle-dx.

Just another 'day in the life.'

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Kathie Wamsley said...

You are going to love your Kindel. I got the Sony Reader for Christmas and haven't put it down since. I've got 50 books on there so far and have read every one of them. It goes in my purse and every chance I get, waiting in the car, doctor's office, car wash, etc. there I am reading. I make a lot of friends this way; people are always stopping me and asking me about it. I am confidant you will enjoy it beyond measure. And an early happy birthday to you.

LA Nickers said...

OK, so I beat you to 50, so you're still just a KINDLE to me.

(hehehe)

Happy early birthday, PK.

Great Lakes Church said...

The Kindle DX was my favorite purchase of 2009 (so far). I use it every day and always have it w/ me. Hope you enjoy it.

D. Nelson