Saturday, May 23, 2009

BIRDS


I'm sitting on my patio this morning in some pretty nice late Spring hot weather - for 11 a.m. - and I'm watching the birds. There seem to be a million of them in our yard. An acre's worth of trees surrounding us doesn't hurt, I suppose.

But they're kind of random, aren't they? So busy. Quirky, almost. A cardinal was in our big basement window well this morning flying into the window over-and-over, pecking at it. He's never going to get in and he's been doing it for months now. I go down there to scare him away, but it's crazy. So, since I can't stand down there 24/7 and protect my window, I decided I would try a little experiment. I GOOGLED pictures of cats and then taped them to the inside of the basement window facing out. He's come back since then, but he's flown away without pecking at the cats. So far, so good. Here's to 'human brains' vs. 'bird brains.'

So now -- on my patio -- there is a robin fighting with the under-grass mesh. We had a new yard planted last spring and he's (or is it 'she's?') valiantly working on that stuff to pull some of the string out and build a nest for his youngins (I assume). That, or he is OCD in the bird world. I'm watching to see who is going to win, the mesh or the robin.

Then, just 20 feet east of him is a dark blue bird pecking at the remains of a pear I threw down there into the edge of the woods this morning. Looks like he's really enjoying it.

Ahead of me, not less than 20 feet, is a wren of some kind perched on the patio chaise lounge and - um - doing something I'm going to have to clean up before I move on with my day.

Beyond him, another 15 feet, is another robin flying in and out of the evergreen building a nest. I know because I've seen the progress on it over the past week. I don't think it's the same one that is fighting with the mesh either.

There are dozens of others chirping, mating, whistling, warning, fighting, playing.

This is all happening simultaneously - lots of action. It's a great scene and awesome testimony to our great Creator God.

Wherever you are, enjoy your day.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol....leave it to you to think of googling cat pictures! :) You DO make me laugh at times. :) At least it worked!