Friday, April 3, 2009

BRANDING

I have 21 pair of shoes. I'm embarrassed to say that, especially when there are people who don't have even ONE pair - but it's true. I counted them today. I've given pairs to Goodwill in the past, including an expensive not-very-old pair of tennis shoes once when I didn't mean to. I'm not really sure why I need that many pair. Of course, they include slippers, several pair of flip-flops, a few sandals, two pair of tennis shoes, work and snow boots as well as casual and dress shoes ... but still.

Then I checked the brands. Johnston & Murphy, Nike, Valleverde, Bachrach, Pronto Uomo, Aldo, Timberland ... I don't even want to KNOW how much they all cost when you add them up. The brands were important when I bought them.

Back in the '80's, stories were circulating about how teenagers and elementary students were actually being killed for their sneakers. Shoes with the 'Nike Air Jordan' branding were in high demand. It was a nice shoe, but it was the picture of Michael Jordan leaping in the air with a basketball on the side of the shoe that was the deal. And if you lived in inner-city Chicago back then, you risked a bullet in your back if you wanted to own a pair. It happened more than once. Nike couldn't buy that kind of publicity and 20 years later, they're still benefitting from that special branding.

We regularly brand sermon series at our church. "THE EMPIRE," "HUMAN," "THE VOYAGE," "MONEY MATTERS," etc.

There is the big red "V" that denotes Richard Branson's VIRGIN empire brand. More than 350 companies are imprinted with the magic "V." The three-pointed star in a circle (Mercedes-Benz) ... the mouse ears (Disney) ... the big yellow "M" (McDonald's), where a study revealed that carrots, milk and juice in containers with a yellow "M" on them actually tasted 'better' to children than those without the logo. The children's sense of taste was physically altered by the branding.

In elementary school, A is no longer for apple ... B is no longer for ball ... C is no longer for cat. NOW ... A is for Apple computer ... B is for Burger King ... and C is for Cheerios ... and so on.

Like it or not - right or wrong - it's all about the brand today.

Is that what we have in religion? Brands? WWJD bracelets ... Icthus' on the rear of our SUVs ... 'Fruit of the SPIRIT' underwear (as opposed to "Fruit of the LOOM" - I'm not kidding!) ... but our brands don't contribute to the work of Christ inside us. No amount of religious product makes us Christian.

So, as one author says, rather than donning "Tommy Hellfighter" t-shirts and "Got Jesus?" bumper stickers, why not focus our energy and focus on 'putting on compassion, grace, kindness, humility, patience and joy?' That's where it's at; not by the brands we might display.

Jesus' true people are branded ----- by love.

And be blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that I am filled with love, but I need to find SOME way to tell the truth in all honesty...yet do it in love. I had a situation tonight that I had to face that choice. I told the truth, but I tried to do it as briefly and gently as I possibly could. It's hard...yet, I feel that I did the right thing...the way Jesus would have.

PK's BLOG said...

ANON:
I don't know the situation, but now and again, love must precede truth for a time.

Anonymous said...

I understand your thought and I know it works for you, but when push comes to shove for me...I have to be honest. It shows on my face...I feel torn with guilt...I can't do it. Even when it hurts, I have to tell the truth and I ALWAYS look for that in others dealings with me. If I can't trust what they say, then I don't want them for a close friend. I can handle the bad parts of myself...In fact, I could probably tell you many of them...lol. And knowing you, you might remind of some others...just kidding. :) The thing is, deep down I am secure with who I am. It would hurt if the handful of people who I love deeply thought really bad things about me, but I would know in my heart that I am trying to be the best person I can be and make God proud of me. For ME and me alone, that means telling the truth to everyone. It's just the way I am made.

Nine times out of ten, I am a "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all", but then there is that one time and it all goes up in smoke. I'm just human and I have to go to God for those times and try to figure out a better way next time.

My ex-husband and 2 kids and I always told each other the truth and we were actually quite happy and had a good life. Randy and I grew apart since he was travelling due to business 4 days a week...otherwise, I am fairly certain we would still be married. If we had been saved we would definitely still be married. However, he is happily remarried and I am fine, too. It's all good. :)

I have things to learn in dealing with others in a Christlike way. I know that for a fact. I'm working on it for sure, though.

PK's BLOG said...

ANON:
Hmmm - yes -- well -- just as a challenge back at you -- to say 'that's just how I am made,' is to acknowledge that we walk in sinful patterns. You were born into sin. Christ desires to transform you out of the 'way you were made' and into 'the way HE wants to make you.' Falling back on the default of 'that's how I am' is a pattern fraught with more future pain. Submit 'how you were made to Him' and let Him teach you how to walk in HIS ways, not YOURS. Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

Oh PK...I honestly DO get what you are saying, but what good does it ddo me to lie when it is written all over my face? I am the world's worst liar....I swear to you. I don't do it...have no practice at it. That's a gigantic reasont that I keep to myself sometimes. I try to AVOID painful truths at almost every turn, but then when I am backed into a corner for some reason or another, then I say exactly what I mean. don't know maybe I should crawl into a hole somewhere and just talk to God...lol. Or YOU...I know you will be honest with me and I like that. EVEN when I am wrong...I respect you for it.

Unknown said...

Good information.

I was reading through some articles and came across some interesting information on how frequently one must replace old shoes with a new pair. Though this is a matter of sheer judgement, it’s important to understand that every shoe has a lifetime and stretching it beyond that would only cause discomfort to your feet and affect your whole body.

One should exercise judgement to know if the padding of the shoe is anywhere close to causing discomfort while playing or exercising. If you feel that the air or the gel has gone or the sole of the shoe is worn out, it’s definitely time to buy yourself a new pair of shoes. So don’t wait till you find your foot sticking out of your shoes. Get a new pair and save your feet the trouble of injury or pain.

PK's BLOG said...

RETRO:
Hey man - THANKS. For a guy here with size 13 feet, that's good information.