Sunday, November 16, 2008

INVERSIONS

Tell me – when you’re driving, is the windshield more important or is the road more important? When you get that little fly that smashes into your windshield and its little wing starts flapping at 90 miles a minute stuck there while you're driving - don't you find it hard to STOP looking at that and concentrate on the road? Yeah. But which is more important - the windshield or the road? Yeah. And putting my eye on the windshield rather than BEYOND it, on the road where it should be, can cause me to DRIFT – in fact, it can put my life at risk.

Yet, we have become experts at putting our eyes on the lesser things in favor of the greater things. So, I wrote a confession – it’s not PROFOUND, it’s just TRUE. Here it is: "I confess that I can easily DRIFT from Kingdom-first focus and Kingdom-first living."

But this is what Jesus does. He takes things that were lesser and He INVERTS them … they become greater. And He takes things that seemed greater and He INVERTS them so they become lesser in your life. He helps you see that HIS road is the most important thing.

We understand inversions, don’t we? In elementary school, girls had cooties. I never really found out what cooties WERE exactly, I only know girls were infected with them back then. Then, I remember the day I discovered the inversion – and for some reason, almost overnight, I started liking cooties.

Something was inverting. It happens all the time naturally.

What if the Spirit of God wants to do some inversion inside us? What if He wants to CHANGE the way we see people? What if He wants us to stop to really care about souls? We get concerned about people’s bodies, but do we also realize that – well or not – when they breathe their last – they then go into eternity, either lost or saved? The greatest loss is not a body – it’s a soul. That’s inverted faith – greater over lesser.

It’s time to get re-focused – stop drifting – stop watching the windshield over the road – in marriages, in finances, in careers, in relationships, with God - stop putting the lesser over the greater – stop honoring convenience over commitment. And start FOLLOWING.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Dr Phil said...

Good sermon, PK. Appreciated your honesty and transparency about the difficulty of the past months. I've been there too and know it feels hypocritical to stand and preach what you do not feel when you're not even sure you believe at that moment. But, God's Word stands alone without the vessel. I've always been struck by the Parable of the Sower that the Sower is not characterized. Only the Seed and the soil stand out. Anyone can be a Sower.