Wednesday, August 6, 2008

RETIREMENT

I'm not close to retirement age yet. Some days it feels like it, but not really. Frankly, I'm not looking forward to it all that much. Some people seem like they're just so READY to retire and relax and do whatever they want, but not me. I'm enjoying life and doing what God has called me to do - bumps and all.

I think heaven is my retirement. Seriously. If I didn't have a heaven to look forward to, I guess I'd feel differently. I'd be more compelled and driven to stockpile for my future here on earth.

I believe in eternal rewards, though. ETERNAL rewards. I don't plan on 'retiring' when I hit my 70's or 80's - sorry if you were hoping for that (or earlier). That's not the future I'm living for.

All of that helps me make my daily decisions. Where is my future? HERE? Naw. It's THERE. So my decisions shift based on where my future is. I just keep trying to remember that.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better NOT retire! I've only been saved a year and I always learn and grow so much through your guidance. Most of the people I know who have retired don't think it's all it is cracked up to be. I don't know. If I was retired, I would just devote my life to the church and bug you guys too much.....lol. I think God's plans are too much to retire from. I want to squeeze every moment out of life and then go and enjoy even more in heaven.

Anonymous said...

RETIREMENT IS GREAT! I retired about 8 years ago, when I was putting in about 60 hours per week. Life is great now, kicking back to about 50 hours a week. The extra 10 hours REALLY makes a difference! Of course, being self employed, I have a lot of discretion as to the actual start on stop times, which just adds to this new "relaxed work atmosphere".

People who actually see me working, think I'm working very hard, but I don't really feel like that. For example; While at work at Promised Land, I was carrying some 68lb retaining stones across my parking lot. A customer, who was near my own age, thought he recognized me and asked if I was the owner. Out of breath, and panting from the strain of carrying my load I grunted a "Yes". "Then why are YOU carrying the rocks", he asked. "Because I AM the owner" I replied.

Building a ministry unto the Lord, just doesn't feel so much like work. AND, I don't need to pay to go to the Gym!

Rick

PK's BLOG said...

Nice response. I have never equated WORK with something UNENJOYABLE, like many seem to do. So when I say I don't look forward to retirement, I mean I don't look forward to doing NOTHING, because I have always enjoyed my work. I see that you have managed to merge RETIREMENT and WORK/FUN the way it's supposed to be merged.

Anonymous said...

This is a thought provoking post. In fact I have been thinking about it for a couple days. Working in the corporate world, I see many individuals that can't wait till retirement. Days grow long for them and they count down the years until they can retire. If we can focus on what really matters (as your post says so well) then our opinions will naturally change. Good Post!