Friday, July 4, 2008

INDEPENDENCE DAY

Happy July 4th!! We're celebrating the 232nd birthday of our nation!

Today was a great and fun day. We took the train into downtown Chicago for the TASTE OF CHICAGO. We went with some friends and our youngest daughter & boyfriend. Here we are standing in front of the Buckingham Fountain downtown.

We had a terrific time sampling all kinds of Chicago's finest edible delicacies. This is us munching on 'beignets' (look it up).

For awhile we sat on a hillside in the shade overlooking TASTE OF CHICAGO and just played some cards. Then we got back up and sampled a few more Chicago eats. What a beautifully gorgeous day it was.

Then it was back home for some homemade banana cream pie with our friends -- and finally down to the Kenosha Harbor for the awesome fireworks. That pic at bottom is an actual shot of the Kenosha Harbor display.

It sure gives you a great feeling belonging to a country like the U.S.A. We are thankful. Hope you had a tremendous day as well.

And be blessed.









4 comments:

JCsings4Him said...

Oh PK...I know how deeply you love this Holiday Celebration! And I am so happy you had a blessed day!

I came downstairs this morning to Celebrate America 2005. DH was watching and waxing nostalgic. Then I remembered: it was the last musical I ever did with you! So I got nostalgic. We miss you guys. :~)

Oh...BTW...a Beignet is a french pastry generally found in Louisiana...did yours have fruit in it??? Usually they are just covered with powdered sugar. MMMMM.

Didn't think I would know that, did you? Yeah, food and I are pretty close. :~)

Anonymous said...

I love Chicago in general and I love the Taste of Chicago, too. One year a few years back, I went to the Taste and went later that evening and watched the fireworks on Navy Pier. It was beautiful and wall to wall people! It was so exciting! Today my singles group is going to Summerfest! It should be fun...I am really looking forward to it! Glad you and your family had a nice day!

PK's BLOG said...

Yes - I am a little nostalgic too, JC, around this time. I miss the flag-waving times 100.

I am not surprised you knew what a beignet was, and not for the reason(s)you supply. Ours just had powdered sugar on top. Fruit inside would have been AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Just read all the most recent blogs - You are considering a collection in book form at some point, aren't you? Thank you - although the conversation is one way it is warm, fun, real, comforting, inspirational, thought-provoking, and feels like connection - sort of. Busyness...what joy to sit on a hillside with friends, play cards, eat deep fried delights with powdered sugar, and bask in the the blessings of God's creation and of living in the flawed but free country of America - all undeserved and, therefore, so much more meaningful.