Monday, June 23, 2008

WWW.YOUVEBEENLEFTBEHIND.COM

We received an email at home today about a new website called http://www.youvebeenleftbehind.com/. It's a website that will automatically send up to 62 e-mails six days AFTER the rapture of the church to friends of yours who you believe probably aren't going to heaven.

It is billed as being run ‘for Christians, by Christians,’ and if you’re wondering which one of those Christians is going to hit the “SEND” button after the rapture of the church, so was I. But apparently if three of the five team members scattered across the country fail to log in over a 3-day period (apparently they're guaranteeing that at least 60% of the 'team' is going to make it to heaven) - then a final 3 days are given to fail safe any false triggering of the system. After that, KABLOOEY! The pink slips are in the mail to 62 of your very best friends.

And my first thought was the same thing the original e-mail said: Why wouldn't you just tell your friends all of that TODAY? Tell them before going to bed tonight that there is another way than the way they're living right now that makes so much more sense -- a rewarding way full of purpose and joy -- peace and direction -- satisfaction and security -- why not just tell them NOW?

And as Pastor Jon Brown so poignantly pointed out as I was talking with him about this: I wonder how many of us even KNOW 62 unsaved people!

This is exactly where the church may have failed over the past decades - but where we must not fail in the future. We must be engaged in the MISSION OF GOD - 'to seek and save what is lost.' That must be our main concern and overriding objective - and not AFTER the rapture, but NOW. Today. June 23rd, 2008. Seven p.m. Central time.

We have to get our eyes out of the rear-view mirror. A healthy church will view outreach to the community as its primary mission. They will embrace the idea of God's kingdom being PEOPLE ... not a BUILDING, not a DENOMINATION, not a PLACE where religious services take place primarily to meet the felt needs of its members.

The truth is, I don't know what to think about that website. I don't know if it's a hoax or what. I am trying to decide if it’s a cool idea or not - or whether I'm just mad that I didn't think of it first. My youngest daughter thinks it is VERY cool, so maybe I should re-think it - or even participate. Did I mention there is a $40 annual subscription fee to sign up?

And remind me again --- how much does it cost for you to walk across the street and just TELL THEM NOW???

And be blessed.

No comments: