Monday, June 30, 2008

A GOD I CAN NEVER PLEASE

Please feel free to take the poll at left. It is based on the June 27th blog. Thank you.

This is a recurring theme in this blog, mostly because it is a recurring theme in life. Busyness. We ARE going to have to get a handle on it one of these days. What prevents us from getting a handle on it TODAY? Here? Now?

Employers? Church? Commitments? Family? Our own aspirations? What prevents us? We all complain about it and yet we all fall prey to it. Why?

Everything I'm doing seems wonderful, but there is always MORE. More meetings - more places to be at various positions on the clock - more opportunities to dive into - more people to see ...

But somehow, the more I DO, the more I feel like it is never quite ENOUGH. No one ever says that to me directly. They don't have to. I feel it all on my own.

I even start to think GOD wants me to do more. And there it is. I have somehow linked God's expectations with my own, making them one and the same. But are they?

Without even realizing it, I have carefully created a God I can never please. He is a God who keeps me busy with endless activity without equal purpose. Why would I do that? Who in their right mind would create, let alone submit themselves to, such a God?

We are born with an innate, God-given desire to please Him. But it is from a place of love and acceptance that I choose to serve God, not from sheer duty. Do you see the difference? DO YOU?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading a book called "He Loves Me". It is all about the love of our Holy Father. It talks about this very thing. It says that sometimes people feel that they have to do more and more to earn God's love, but truly He loves us...period. The things we do come out of the love He gives to us. I love doing things for our church, but I can tell you, I am NOWHERE near as busy as you. I'm still praying for you and Pastor Dan. :)