Friday, June 13, 2008

ARTISTS

I was at a conference with some friends this week and it was a stadium full of artist types. I love artists. That's probably because I ARE one.

The question was asked: "What can artists do that others cannot?" It's not a real tough question - and because my brain is conference-fried right now, an easy question is what I need.

Answers:
1. They can lead us into worship that gives a higher view of God. They show thru their art what the God of justice looks like - and the God of compassion - the God of love - of peace - of grace and mercy - and more.

2. They humanize the 'other' -- meaning that thru their drama or video or dance they help us understand the leper - the poor - the prostitute - the atheist - the Muslim - the Democrat (joke).

3. They humanize US. They remind us thru their artistry of our own compassion - mercy - caring.

4. They re-value Creation. They do it in song --- "Fairest Lord Jesus" --- "All Creatures of Our God and King" --- "This is My Father's World" --- "How Great Thou Art."

So this week --- HUG AN ARTIST - and thank God for them.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Music is part of the landscape of my life. It can helps set the tone for my mood and day sometimes. I remember as a 3rd grader spending my dollar allowance on a 45 record. Ok...now I've dated myself...lol. Anyway, I admire those who have the talent to do this. My son also is an artist. He plays the guitar and is the lead singer of a band. He writes a lot of music, too. Here's to artists who express in song or other mediums what my heart feels.

Anonymous said...

Were you at the conference at Willow Creek? An old high school boyfriend of mine reconnected with me on FaceBook recently... he's a PASTOR now, married with 3 beautiful girls (I missed that 'boat' apparently!)! His posts on his FaceBook were also about being 'Artists'! I heard it was great as usual. He said the conference at Willow reminded him of Disney... they never miss a detail and you leave in awe.

Anonymous said...

Visual Art.
The Visual Arts.
Beauty.
Adornment.
Color.
The Face of Jesus.
The Throne Room.
A flower.
The sky.
Deepest expressions of Love.
Pictoral expression of innermost experience of the presence of God.




Oh, yeah, then there is poetry..........

PK's BLOG said...

Yes, I was there - along with the weekend services team from the church. WILLOW is always amazing, excellent, creative. Frankly, there isn't a church on the planet quite like them when it comes to bringing emotion to the forefront via creative arts. God has blessed their efforts. The conference, as usual, was stunning.