Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HAIRCUT

I got my hair cut today. I know that's a really weird thing to blog about -- but it IS "A DAY IN THE LIFE," right? And what could be more 'day-in-the-lifeish' than a hair cut.

I really like the person who cuts my hair these days, even though I left today looking like I belonged in the Mafia and drove home slumped down in my seat, taking all the back roads so nobody would see me. NOTE TO SELF: another great reason to get my car windows tinted.

Why does the everyday act of getting your hair cut put the fear of God into you? Because what's on top of your head defines who you are to an extent and who wants to take unnecessary chances with that? My mother and grandmother both have full heads of hair today, at 71 and 95 years old respectively. Even so, I worry about going bald. I'm one of those people who check the shower floor every day to make sure I didn't lose too much to the drain. But Leviticus says: "When a man has lost his hair and is bald, he is clean ... if he has lost his hair from the front of his scalp and has a bald forehead, he is clean," so I'm not sure what to do with that.

Then, Proverbs says: "Gray hair is the splendor of the old." I'm trying to hold that one at bay, too.

All I DO know is that we have a God who cares about our hair as well as what is right underneath it. Why do I say that? Because Matthew 10 tells us "the very hairs of your head are numbered" by God. THAT'S how much He cares. Enough to sit there and bother counting all those strands so He can keep track of you. He just has to spend a little longer on some of us than on others. But either way, He loves us. Isn't that amazing?

Be blessed.

2 comments:

Darren said...

i'm pretty sure i have had one or two good haircuts in my entire life...the rest, you just have to go with the flow.."How does it look?"..."yeah, well, it'll grow out right?" I guess that's a good metaphor for life as well - the majority of life is working with what you have; imperfect as it may be. you can get frustrated or creative. because even when life is tough - 'it will grow out...right?'

PK's BLOG said...

Yep - it all comes out in the wash, as they say.