Tuesday, January 7, 2014

HBO

I don't have HBO in my house.  There are probably some really great movies I'm missing because of that, but I don't want to take the chance that in a moment of weakness, I'll give in to something I shouldn't.

'Don't tell me you want to get over it if you're blatantly inviting it into your home.'

Don't tell me you want to get over it if you're blatantly inviting it into your home.  That doesn't make any sense.  You have to be willing to do something about it.

Maybe you've said, "God, deliver me from materialism," and then you're at the outlet mall (or Lowe's) three times a week.

No.

You have to cut it off at the root.  Unplug it.  Don't just pray, 'God, drive it out.'  You starve it.

You aren't going to close this page and never make another mistake.  If that's what you're looking for, the solution is simple -- die.  But you can live on the earth and, step by step, gradually come to be more and more like Christ.

So when you sin - not if, but when - there are two possible first reactions.  One is smart … the other not so smart.  You can run TO God (that's the smart one) -- or you can run AWAY from God (um … yeah.)

For years, my reaction when I sinned was to run away, not realizing that was when I most needed Him.  That's actually what the enemy of your soul wants you to do.  But it's time to get smart.  And that means running TO God because He's the One who has provided a way to be forgiven and to start over.

Try it this year.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have my share of sin in my life. I agree with you. When I knowingly sin, sometimes I let myself fall further away from God. I may often ask for His forgiveness, but my faith tends to grow weaker.

One thing I 'have' found that works for me, is to replace the behavior I don't really want with something else that is equal or even better than the sin I am committing. I found that to be a great way of changing lately.

I have a weakness for something that I seem to be confronted with daily at work. Well, I have come across some topics of information that I find fascinating. I am so busy investigating this information that I have little chance to become bored and revert to sinful behavior. It has been somewhat easy. I'm not sure how long I will be captivated, but I hope once this passes that I will find something else. So, replacement works for me.