Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FORWARD

I heard an extremely successful leader of a very large congregation say something not long ago that really encouraged me --- I pass it along to you. If you're a leader of an organization, as I am, perhaps it will encourage you as well. If you're a member of an organization like ours, maybe it will challenge as well as help you ...

He said:
"Every few years, it seems like a small wave of our faithful people leave the church for other pastures. They often say something like:

- We just don't get time with you anymore.
- The church is getting too big.
- Things have changed.
- Church doesn't seem to be for me anymore - it's for someone else 'out there.'"

I wish I could lovingly express:
- I hoped your involvement in the ministry was based on far more than time spent with me.
- Aren't you excited God is using us to reach more people? Would you rather we don't reach people and stay small?
- Isn't it great things have changed? Would you rather freeze in time? If we aren't changing to make the Gospel accessible to people in this generation and culture without changing our message, then we're in sin, my friend.
- Bingo. Your time spent with God during the week should be filling you up so much that when you come as a tried-and-true Christ-follower on the weekend, you're ready to give out by serving to those who haven't yet come to faith.

I am sure that a lot of pastors fight to the end to keep all of those people. And o my, how I hate seeing people walk away for other places. It hurts. And sometimes our efforts with people work. Sometimes they stay. Sometimes not. While I try to express my genuine love, if they are continually and consistently disappointed in the direction of the church, I've found it might be better, with great grief on my part, to let them move on. I do not want to repeatedly disappoint people that way.

I always speak well of them. I try not to take it personally. I always endeavor to show Christ's love at that moment. And I try to continue moving the church forward in the way God has called us to.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Whitney Thulin said...

Today, Rick Warren spoke on this. He said, "People don't come TO church. They come THROUGH church." It's the natural cycle.

Love.