Tuesday, January 27, 2009

KIDS

Our older two children live in Minneapolis with their husbands. If you're a parent like us, you would like to go back and re-do some of the kids' upbringing. I'm thankful for our kids and how they 'turned out,' but some days, it was in spite of us, not because of us.

I was reading an article today and I so closely identified with it. It said, "The truth is ... ministry can be very hard on pastors' children." Very true. You needn't feel sorry for us because of that, but it' is so.

Your kids will hear you criticized.
Your kids will watch you hurt.
Your kids may see you wrongly strike back.
Your kids may see and hear your hypocrisy up close.
Your kids may reject the church because you’re there way too much.
Your kids may enjoy the extra attention when they are young and despise it when they mature.

And so, it is with great thanksgiving that I watch them thrive spiritually and be reasonably balanced from the 'in a fishbowl' upbringing they had to endure. In fact, both of them and their husbands are involved in ministry in churches.

Strange? I don't know.
Ironic? Possibly.
Blessed? Most definitely.

YOU be blessed, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to have kids and grandkids that love the Lord and
are serving in churches. Let it be
known I love them dearly!


M O M

JCsings4Him said...

I was just talking about this with Beckie and Rachel the other day. And with a few others from our Ladies Bible Study.

It certainly does amaze me how well all my kids "turned out"...in spite of me. Your list of "things" brought back some memories of ministry times past. Some good, some not so good. And then Rachel's words echoed in my mind "Mom, you have grown SO much over the past few years..." What a thing for your own daughter to say...what a thing for your own daughter to SEE.

You are wonderful parents...(I know you know that already)and you will see that when you watch your own children become parents...not too long from now! :~)