Wednesday, November 26, 2008

MOMENTUM

I was listening to Andy Stanley the other day and he said, 'When we ask churches that are experiencing momentum, “Why?” they will often respond, “God is just blessing.”'

Now that is a good answer, but that is not a helpful answer. The follow-up question needs to be, “What is God blessing?”

God is blessing so much at our church right now and I feel that we have some definite POSITIVE MOMENTUM. Momentum is defined as 'forward motion fueled by a series of wins.'

There are some TRIGGERS that fuel momentum.

NEW is probably a trigger. Anything new, by definition, generates some kind of momentum. It could be new leadership or a new direction or new personnel or a new approach or a new ministry or a new idea or a new product or a new look or a new venue. Momentum is never triggered by tweaking something old.

IMPROVED is probably a trigger, in that the NEW must be a noticeable improvement over what was.

IMPROVING is also a trigger, where momentum is sustained through continuous improvement. Continuous improvement requires systematic, unfiltered evaluation.

I see us honing our vision in some real sharp ways right now. Our staff and key leaders are on the same page with a Simple Church philosophy where we are all more focused and aligned with one another - all thinking the same direction - more part of the greater whole rather than 'silo,' independent ministries - all looking out for each other. THAT is Simple Church.

We are putting our emphasis on small group life for connectivity, accountability, assimiliation, relationship-building, serving and discipleship more and more. Our heart to be 'missional' is increasing and many in the congregation have already caught that heart - in fact, they are way ahead of us in that. The Word is being taught every weekend and people are coming to Christ. We have plans to help improve how those people are helped and served that we're ready to implement.

It is all very exciting. Let's keep the momentum rolling. Join us on the journey.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get back in a small group. It looks like that won't take place until Jan. I would love to connect and begin relationships with other Christians at our church. I am very involved in serving. It is what I love to do. NOW, the KEY element that I feel I am missing is discipleship. I need some of that forward momentum in my walk with God. I am ready to press forward with the Lord. My journey is limping along right now. I am ready to get back to my old way and make things happen.