Friday, May 30, 2008

DRESSING UP

Please participate in the poll at left - related to today's blog. Thank you.

I should probably make it very clear that not EVERYTHING I write on this blog is: A) completely original with me (most blogs AREN'T) or B) something I personally agree with.

As far as "A" goes - some things come from extensive reading in books, newspapers, online - or talking to other people - or listening to the radio and television - in other words, from a variety of sources. Of course, much of it comes from my own little brain, but nobody writes in a vacuum. That said, I let you know when it's from some other source besides me.

As far as "B" goes - I don't just write about things I agree with. MOST of the time, I believe in what I'm writing. But when I don't, I'll give a disclaimer such as: "The views herein are not necessarily endorsed by the management," or "Never mind," or "Gotcha!" or something equally clever.

Having said that, TODAY'S blog is partly "A," having done some recent reading on this subject -- but definitely not "B" at all. I DO agree and believe with what I'm writing today.

My mom took me to church from the time I could breathe on my own. Before that, actually. And from my very earliest memory, I wore suits to church. Even as a 3-year old little guy, I had the cutest miniature suits to wear, courtesy of J.C. Penney and The Jones Store. When I graduated to be an elementary school tike, I also graduated to BIGGER suits from the same stores. I was blessed to live during the time of leisure suits - which were popular when I was a teenager. I dutifully wore them to church in shades of peach, lime green, lavendar and Granny Smith apple. It was all very chic and 'in.' Trust me.

College - early ministry as an adult -- and now middle ministry as an adult -- we're just NOW coming to some new conclusions about how we should DRESS when we go to church - or if there should BE a 'SHOULD.' It has been a long thought process. Some of us still aren't sure about it at all.

Dressing up for church SEEMS like it's been happening forever, but in truth it is a relatively recent practice. It didn't begin until the late 1700s and didn't become widespread until around the 1850s. Not that long ago.

Before that, 'dressing up' was only known among the wealthy. That was the whole point. Only the wealthy could AFFORD nice clothing. Common folk had two sets of clothes: WORK clothes for labor -- and LESS-TATTERED clothes for going out.

With the invention of mass textile manufacturing, finer clothing became more accessible to the common person -- and voila! -- the middle class was born. To demonstrate their newly-found freedom, they could now 'dress up' for social events like the rich people did.

Even as late as the mid-1800s, people like John Wesley were preaching AGAINST dressy, expensive or flashy clothing. The Methodists turned people away from their services if they were dressed too nicely. Imagine THAT today! "We don't allow fur-collars in church, ma'am. You'll have to go back to your car, unzip that thing from your neck - then please feel welcomed to come on in."

But in the 1860s, a Connecticut minister argued that sophistcation and refinement were attributes of God (chapter and verse on that one?) and that Christians should emulate them. And THUS, the 'fancy-dress-and-suit-for-church' concept was born. And persists today. And I guess that's FINE, but it has nothing whatever to do with the Bible, God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit.

'So what?' you ask. I agree. 'So what?' It is hardly a burning issue. It is what it REPRESENTS that is the burning issue. To think that God cares one whit if you wear dressy clothes to 'meet Him' is a violation of the New Covenant. Then there is the thought that 'dressing up' actually goes against the reality that the church is made up of real people with messy problems -- but who put on colossal smiles and cashmere as a way to cover it up.

The real fact is, the early church believers did not 'dress up' to attend church meetings. They met 'as is' in living rooms. The book of James even rebukes believers for trying to dress richly and separating themselves from the poor.

And yet, many Christ-followers are under the false delusion that it is somehow 'irreverent' to dress informally when attending weekend services. Read Mark 7:1-13 here.

If you personally feel that dressing up for church is a positive thing and you can do it with pure motives, then by all means, go ahead. But we should NOT look down or judge those who don't dress up.

In our church, we changed from wearing suits a few years ago to what we call 'business casual' on weekends today. Have we stopped worshipping? No. Has our 'reverence factor' decreased? Don't believe so. Have people stopped coming because we're not dressed up? Not at all.

What's next? Jeans? Gasp. Say it ain't so.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PK,

Great looking blog! : ) And you're on facebook too! : ) Great to see! I absolutely love how you are leading the church in learning, growing, reading!! Pretty awesome! : )

Anonymous said...

Quite awhile ago I remember entering church when someone commented on how poorly a teen was dressed as he was about to enter the service. I remarked that I thought God was just thrilled to see the boy there regardless of how he was dressed. I still believe that today. And speaking of dress, last year I attended my Jewish aunts funeral. She was buried in a shroud. I thought that was awesome. Anything good enough for Jesus is good enough for me. The most important thing for someone to see when they look at me, is Jesus. I want to reflect Jesus so that that’s all anyone sees. Until I can perfect that, I’ll try not to look too wrinkled or drip all over myself. Thanks for another thought provoking blog.

PK's BLOG said...

HEY MAN! Great to hear from ya. I'm trying to KEEP UP.

Anonymous said...

I have often wore jeans to church. It depends on my mood. When I usher, I do dress up a little, though. I've always thought that God cares more about my heart than my clothing. Am I walking my talk? Am I living out my life in a way that would make him proud of me? I would say to dress up your heart for the Lord and then...whatever you feel like wearing, do it. :)

Anonymous said...

I read your post and was wondering what you would do to people who want to dress well when they go to church. Is your dress code very strict?

If you force people to dress down, taht can be very uncomfortable, and people from other countries can feel very awkward. It is not considered acceptale to dress in a very slopp way in church.

American casual clothes are the exception.

PK's BLOG said...

Great comment, Jim. Thanks for posting it.
We do not 'force' anyone to dress any certain way in our church. Some are in suits - others in business casual - some come in jeans - and yes, a few are in shorts. It's Wisconsin, so the 'shorts' season is pretty - well - SHORT.
I think it's great that people dress different ways and there is not a cookie cutter or expectation among them. I haven't seen or felt anyone at all feeling uncomfortable because the person sitting next to them is far more dressed UP or dressed DOWN than they are. It's a big world out there and I'm just glad people are comfortable coming AS IS to be accepted by our Church congregation. That's how it should be.
Thanks for the great comment.