Wednesday, April 11, 2018

AFRAID

As I look back on my personal journey, the singular cause for me losing ground or giving up ground where I should have taken it has been fear.  Sometimes it's been the fear of failure - sometimes it's been the fear of success - quite often it's been the fear of rejection or unacceptance.

At times, fear has messed with my God-given vision.

I remember the day I was at the doctor's office years ago - before I turned 40 (which wasn't that long ago really - really - really - really).  He told me:  'Kevin, when you hit 40 don't be surprised if your eyesight begins to alter a little.  You may find it a little harder to visually focus.  It may become more challenging to read the fine print.  Blah-blah-blah-blah (insert Charlie Brown's parents here).'

He was right.  In fact, when I was 39 years and 364 days old, I could see just fine.  The DAY I turned 40 - no joke - I got out of bed and started bumping into the furniture.  It was crazy.

Fear is like that.  It's a visual impairment - because it makes us see things inaccurately.  Fear is disorienting.

That's why you can't trust it.  Even though God told us His presence isn't compatible with fear, every person on the planet at some point struggles with it.

Of the 125 direct commands of Jesus in Scripture,  21 have to do with overcoming fear.  The next most frequent command - love your neighbor and love yourself - is only spoken of 8 times.

You have to wrap your brain around that.  The single statement Jesus makes more than any other is 'Don't be afraid.'  

If there's a voice in your head telling you that you're the only one who's afraid - or that your fears are greater than everyone else's - or that you're flawed in a way nobody else is ---- that isn't God's voice you're hearing.

'The Spirit God gave us does not make us afraid.'

And be blessed.

No comments: