Thursday, November 30, 2017

PRISON

Corrie Ten Boom was a young Dutch girl taken prisoner by the Germans during World War 2 for hiding Jews in her attic in Holland.  Her story was made famous in a book and movie called 'The Hiding Place.'  She was held captive in a death camp until weeks before the camp was liberated.  Her sister, Betsy, killed by the Nazis in that camp - said of her prison:

"Bless you, prison, for having been in my life.  Bless you."

Wow.

There's the "IN everything give thanks" Bible verses we're so fond of quoting - but there's a deeper level of Christian devotion we aren't as comfortable with, and yet it's just as important when we come to points in our lives where we need to fully trust God.

Not just "IN" everything give thanks -- but 'always giving thanks to God the Father FOR everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.'  (Ephesians 5:20)

You didn't cause it, God, but even in this I see Your graceful hand.
No, I didn't deserve it.
Yes, I was forever marked by it.
No, it didn't come from You.
But yes, I know You never left me in the middle of it, so even FOR this, I give You praise.

Can you say that about your prison?
Do you see God in it at all?
What matters isn't the circumstance; what matters is how true to God we remain in it.

It may not make a lot of sense at the time, but you are very much in God's hand.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

John Miller said...

This is a great word. Any prison I've ever experienced probably seemed like a palace compared to her prison. I'm definitely less thankful, less grateful, than I ought to be.