Monday, December 19, 2016

SMILE

In the movie, 'ELF,' the main character Buddy says to the store manager:  'Smiling's my favorite.'

I love that.

Here's how we get the 'smile' in Jesus.

'If you obey My commands you will remain in My love, just as I have obeyed My Father's commands and remain in His love.  I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.'  (John 15:10, 11)

Not only will your smile be full, it will overflow.  The more you obey God, the more joy you get.  That's designed to lead you into greater life and greater joy.  It's designed to lead you into God's way which works, rather than your way which doesn't work.

For instance, God says in His Word:  'This is how marriage works.'

That isn't a suggestion.  It isn't God trying to bully you or spoil your fun.  He's saying: 'I made marriage.  It was My idea.  I know how it's supposed to work.  So listen to Me on that.'

He does that with money - and with parenting - and with rest - and with sex - and with work - and with life.  Our ability to live what John calls the abundant, joy-filled life is found in our obedience to how God wired the universe to work, not in how you or I think it should work.

Is anybody a worse enemy to you than you?
Has anyone lied to you more than you?
Has anyone broken more promises to you than you?
No.  You're the primary problem - I'm the probably problem.

You might be saying, 'Yeah well, you don't know what I married.  Crazy, that's what.'

OK.  But let's move that over to the relationship between you and Jesus.  In that relationship, who's the crazy one - you or Jesus?  Of the two of you, which One is unbelievably faithful and which one is altogether unfaithful?

I'm just asking.

And what has been His response to you in light of that?
Has He walked away from you?
Has He gotten angry at you?
Has He sought revenge on you?
Or has He loved you more and more in spite of your actions?

Yes.

There's only one legitimate reaction to that news.

Smile.

And be blessed.

No comments: