Wednesday, October 19, 2016

FEET

I remember the first time I ever walked into a gym and picked up a set of weights.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I had to read up, watch other people, get acquainted with everything, but over time I got some skills and became comfortable with it.

I don't particularly like running - kind of despise that elliptical thing - cardio, huh-uh - stretching, the worst -- but that's what you have to do.  There aren't big shortcuts with any of that.  You push your limits - you leave feeling miserable some days - then you go at it again.

To be successful in the fight, you have to develop skills and get training.

This is why to win our spiritual fight, we read Scripture - we pray - we get good counsel - we join healthy community.  We're developing skills and endurance and training for the fight.

One of the most important things when you get hit in a fight is to keep your feet spread.  Keep your foundation solid.  Don't let your feet come together.  Because if you don't you'll fall over if you get hit really hard.

You get hit with a big life shot one day.  It's the day you find out.  It's infidelity - it's something financial - it's the loss of a job - it's the health of someone you love - BAM!  You didn't see it coming.

And now you're spinning.

What happens next?  Your feet come together - there's no solid foundation - and you end up going back to things that were harmful to you - you return to situations and people that got you into the bad place - you re-visit the unhealthy relationship - you go back to the habit.

Instead, let's say: 'I'm going to plant myself on a solid base - on a good truth - on the Word.  I'm going to move toward God, not away from Him.'

And be blessed.

No comments: