Thursday, September 8, 2016

LESSON 8 - SEND

During September I'm blogging each day about one thing I've learned in 35 years of doing ministry.  Not rocket science -- just tips that have served me well these past three decades.

Lesson #8 - Don't hit 'send'

It's been years ago now, thank goodness, but it has to be my most embarrassing moment in ministry.  I'm only hoping the person to whom I did this doesn't read this blog.

I received an email from someone inquiring about something.  In an effort to get full information, I was attempting to forward the email to a friend with some notes of my own attached that were not favorable toward this person.  Admittedly, the words I was sharing were not words I would have said to this person face-to-face.  My comments were more friend-to-friend counsel, but no-holds barred, gut level kinds of things you say to a friend and nobody else about the situation ---- and ---- you're way ahead of me here ---- rather than hit 'forward,' I hit 'reply.'

Yeah.

Uh-huh.

Right.

Three egg, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink omelet on my face.

It was one of the worst days in my 35 years of connecting with people.


DON'T HIT "SEND!"


So in a roundabout way I use that illustration to make this Lesson #8 -- to say that if you absolutely have to send a tough e-mail to someone, send it a trusted friend first to get feedback (which I was trying to do).

And ask yourself, 'Am I being too blunt here?  Is there a better way to say this?  Is it arrogant at all?  Could I be taken wrong in this e-mail reply?'

Get some third party counsel before you reply.

And ... double and triple check BEFORE YOU HIT "SEND."

Don't be a Kevin Taylor on this one.

And be blessed.

No comments: