Friday, September 2, 2016

LESSON 2 - SHEEP


During September I'm blogging each day about one thing I've learned from 35 years of doing ministry.  Not rocket science -- just elementary tips that have served me well these three decades.

Lesson 2 - A leader has to be ready to have his heart broken occasionally - even wounded - and still stay soft ----- because sheep bite sometimes.

It happens.

The couple you faithfully poured into for years decide to end their marriage.

The person you prayed with over and over turns their back on God and walks away.

The friend you knew had your back through thick and thin left your church, won't talk to you, and now he's talking to others about you.

A guy you had regular lunches with finally tells you what a rotten leader you are.

One of the great challenges of ministry is keeping a tender heart after it gets broken.  But I'll urge you to do just that.

One of the great challenges of ministry is keeping a tender heart after it gets broken.

The alternative is bitterness, hard-heartedness and cynicism ... none of those useful to the Kingdom of God or descriptive of Jesus.

There's great value in taking some of your difficulties to a mentor who can 'hear you out' and 'guide you through.'

There's safety in a number of counselors.  Someone really wise once said that.  I admit that every now and then I just need to cry into the phone.  It works; and it works better than hardening my heart.

Commit to staying soft.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks PK. I love your lessons. They help me so much.

Unknown said...

I second the above!