Monday, August 22, 2016

DANGEROUS

thegospelcoalition.org 
There are definitely some dangerous songs out there.

I don't mean like Michael Jackson's "Dangerous."

I don't mean songs like 'Push It' by Salt-n-Pepa or Prince's 'Darling Nikki' -- though those are certainly dangerous for their own reasons.

I'm talking about dangerous songs within the church.

This past weekend our church gathered and sang a song that said:  'Everything I am, everything I have, I give it to you, God.'

Think about that for a minute.  All you are.  All you have.  All your behaviors, all your resources, everything.  What if God hears us sing those things and takes us seriously?  How else is He supposed to hear that?

Real and passionate worship is dangerous.

We sing songs like: 'Have Your way in us, Lord.  You're the potter; I'm the clay.'  And yet some of us, even as we sing that, are locked in stubborn conflicts with a spouse or a friend, refusing to take a first step toward reconciliation or forgiveness -- but 'You have Your way, God.'

We sing: 'Take my silver and gold, nothing would I withhold.'  Take it, God.  We sing it with great sincerity in the moment.  Man, our hands are stretched as high as we can reach.  But it's possible you can sing those words and not be at all willing to be sacrificial with your giving toward God.

So I want to ask you, if there's a gap between your worship and your life, would you be willing to say, 'God, I don't want to just say or sing some words, I want to give You my whole heart?  I want to give You my life.'

Because I'm telling you, real and passionate worship is dangerous.

And be blessed.

No comments: