Wednesday, July 27, 2016

MARATHON

The 2016 Summer Olympics are coming soon.  Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  Pretty exciting.

Personally, some of the coolest Olympic memories I recall are ...

Mark Spitz winning those 7 gold medals in swimming and diving in Munich, 1972.  Nobody had ever won that many golds and no one eclipsed Spitz until Michael Phelps won 8 golds in Beijing, 2008.

The first perfect 10 score in gymnastics in Olympic history in Montreal, 1976 by Nadia Comaneci from Romania (pictured).

The amazing American basketball Dream Team who won it all in Barcelona, 1992.

'Miracle on Ice' with the U.S. men's hockey team winning the gold at Lake Placid, New York, 1980.

Usain Bolt from Jamaica - considered the fastest man on earth - hitting the tape in Beijing, 2008.

Those were some incredible moments in Olympic history.  I'm definitely watching this year.

There have also been times during the Olympics when I've stayed up late at night yelling at the TV for a bunch of sports I'd never watch under normal circumstances.

Women's Water Polo.  Really?  Who needs that?

Or that game where they push that little disc and scrub hard as it goes down the lane.  What's it called again?

Curling (pictured.)

Who said that was a sport?  They made that up.

One of the sports I do enjoy watching is track and field.  The marathoners.  I couldn't do what they do.  Some people mistakenly think I'm a runner because I have legs out to next Wednesday.  But I'm not.  Running twenty-six miles.  I see nothing appealing in that whatsoever.  I don't know why you'd do that when you have access to a perfectly good car.

But the Bible says in Hebrews that the Christian life is like a race - a marathon.  It's no sprint, that's for sure.

That word for 'race' is 'agon' in the Greek.  It's where we get our word 'agony' -- so that's nice.  It was also the word they used back then to refer to the pentathlon, which was five sports in a competition.

That ancient pentathlon ended with a Greco-Roman boxing match.  After they'd completed the first four events, they'd square off in the ring.  Fighters wore leather gloves that would protect their hands but disfigure the other person's face.  So it was 'agon' -- agonizing.

I really hate to break it to you, but there are moments in the Christian life that can be 'agon' - agonizing.  It isn't always a cake walk.  The spiritual marathon you're in right now can be a tough race.

But God's call on every single one of us who've made a commitment to Christ is to be moving forward with new wisdom -- new holiness -- new courage -- new discipline -- new joy -- givers, not getters -- from being people who are taught all the time to becoming people who teach others.

That's your race.  No coasting.

Suit up.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi PK! It is the wee hours of the morning and I am not even tired yet. Anyway, I was thinking tonight that I am going with the 'fam' tomorrow to a fair and concert. When it crossed my mind it reminded me of how you always said the fam. So, it's been forever since I have popped by. Haha...I wonder if you miss my more inane posts. At least I participated I suppose.

So, Nadia was such a thrill! I was mesmerized. Basically, I like gymnastics, basketball and swimming. I don't watch everything. But the drive and time spent to become the best is amazing to me. Some of these athletes literally have no life. What keeps them going? Seriously, I envision over-zealous parents pushing them to their limits. But most of them are passionate about their gifts.

I hope you and Joelene are doing marvelously! JC holds many wonderful memories for me. And I hope Pastor Lisa is doing well. She was always special and supportive. Take care of yourself.