Sunday, June 26, 2016

SAN MARINO CO

Today Joelene and I had the privilege of spending our Sunday in the smallest republic on planet Earth - San Marino.  I know the picture doesn't even look real, but it is.

San Marino
I've always wanted to come here but never had the chance.  San Marino is the world's fifth smallest state - 61 square miles small.  Only 32,000 people call San Marino home.  It lies 30 minutes southwest of Rimini, Italy and is entirely surrounded by Italy.  

Yet, San Marino is an independent nation - the world's oldest surviving republic - a reminder of the times when much of Europe was comprised of hundreds of small political units.  It is governed by a framework of parliamentary democracy, where two Captains Regent are the co-heads of state, elected for a period of only six months, until two other Captains Regent lead and rule.  The unique system dates back to the 13th century and is still in use today.

Dual Chair of the Captains Regent
The red chair pictured is the 'dual throne' of the two Captains Regent.  Yeah, both guys sit on that seat together - at the same time.

Crazy, I know.  I bet they have to be pretty good friends.

But this simple and seemingly odd fact is what caused me to reflect today on my own recent ministry and past.  Two people leading together?  Two people sitting on the same seat of leadership?  Sounds awkward.  Bound to fail.

And yet Journey Church employed a very similar form of leadership for nearly 10 years as I served as a Co-Lead Pastor.  

I remember when we began the structure of dual leadership in 2006.  There were people who told us a Co-Pastor system of leading was destined to fail.  Some thought it was a terrible way to lead - two heads, sharing the chair 50/50.  It'll never work.

I got their concerns.  We had concerns, too.  But we felt it was God's direction for our church so we did it.

We never sat on the same chair - not that I remember at least - but we led as co-brothers - co-leaders - co-visionaries - co-speakers - co-administrators - co-ministry partners.  It worked.

We aren't still leading that way today.  After 10 years of sharing the role, we've moved on to something else now, but I had to pause today to be thankful for that time period in my own history and in the history of Journey Church - as well as be thankful for my ministry partner for that span, Dan Remus.

And I have little San Marino to thank for the reminder.  I guess two guys sitting on the same chair making decisions isn't so wacky after all.

And be blessed.

No comments: