Wednesday, May 18, 2016

SMILE

I decided today on all my routes out-and-about that I would purposely smile really big at total strangers.  I know . . . peculiar . . . but it was just an inspiration I had so I went with it.

Of all the people I smiled at, I only counted three who didn't smile back.  

One was a tough looking dude who probably just thought I was a weirdo.
One was a busy mom who obviously had no time for me with the three kids she was trying to keep inside the grocery cart.
One was an elderly lady.  She may have been blind, I'm not sure.

Everybody else smiled back.  Everybody.  Young, old, male, female, even the Italians smiled back.

There are a lot of things that make me smile.  Here's a very short list that could easily be a hundred times longer:

My wife.

Christmas morning.

Knock-knock jokes.  'Knock, knock.  Who's there?  Interrupting cow.  Interrupting cow wh--  Moooo!'  (I got that one from my 6-year old grandson.  Admit it.  You smiled.)

Rain on a day I can stay in bed.

Opening a new tube of toothpaste.

The TV Show "King of Queens."

Popping bubble wrap.

Kids on a playground.

Me on a playground.

A church full of worshippers.

Turtles yawning.

Clicking a pen over and over until my wife turns to make me stop.

Lime green.  I don't know why, it just does.

A great haircut (mine, not someone else's).

Traveling to Italy.

Portillo's Chocolate Cake.

Singing at the top of my lungs when I'm alone at home in the shower.

Warm bed sheets in the winter.

People who understand my sense of humor without explanation.

Having the privilege of pastoring Journey Church. 

Heart-shaped waffles.

When someone comes to faith in Christ.

Friday mornings.

When my kids and grandkids pull in the driveway to visit.

Whenever someone smiles at me.

So smile.  And I'll smile back - if I don't smile first.

And be blessed.

No comments: