Saturday, April 2, 2016

DREAM

I have this crazy recurring dream while I'm sleeping.

I do most of my dreaming while I'm awake.  I don't really dream much in my sleep - that I can ever remember.  I'm sure there's a character flaw to be diagnosed as a result of that.  But there's this one dream . . .

I'm trying to get somewhere -- to an appointment -- to the stage to speak -- to something important -- I'm panicking and afraid because I'm sure I'm not going to make it in time.  Sweat is pouring off me.  I'm in a state of terror, practically hysteric that I will fail my mission.  In this dream little things get in my way over and over that prevent me.  The clock is racing toward kickoff and I can't find my other shoe or the door to get there is locked and I don't have a key.

That dream plagues me more often than any other dream I have.

Fears are normal.

A lot of things we regularly use came about because somebody was afraid.

We invented treadmills because we were afraid of the outside.
We invented light bulbs because we didn't like the dark.
We invented cages because we didn't want the tigers to get too close.

In a world without God, fear becomes a driving motivator of the human condition.

All driven by some form of fear.  Fear of being out of shape -- fear of being eaten -- fear of being the slowest runner when the lion was hungry -- fear of being chosen last -- you name it.  Even if fear wasn't the primary influence, it was often a secondary one.

In a world without God,  fear becomes a driving motivator of the human condition.

Maybe that's why the Bible has so much to say about it.

Stay tuned.

And be blessed.

No comments: