Saturday, January 2, 2016

LANES

I love speed.

I had the opportunity to drive on the Autobahn in Germany this past summer while Joelene and I were on Sabbatical.  Great experience.  I only got two tickets, because contrary to popular belief you can't go as fast as you want EVERYWHERE on the Autobahn.  Now they tell me.

I confess that I'm also a lane changer.  I have an undeniable sense that if I keep changing lanes I'll get there quicker.

This also applies at the grocery store.  When I approach a lane at the market, I instinctively peruse the shoppers and their items to calculate which lane will get me to the cashier fastest.  You know you do the same thing, so don't get all high-and-mighty about it.

If the lane next to me seems to be moving faster, I'll just move my cart over there.  Unfortunately, as often as not, the lane I end up in seems to automatically go slower once I enter it.

If there is a line of 100 vehicles in the exit lane on the highway and it's backed up but the main lanes going down the highway are moving well, I'll often look down the line of 100 and see if I can spot a semi.  Then I strategically maneuver my vehicle with just the right timing so I can ease in front of the semi closer to the exit and trump all those losers who are still sitting in line 70 cars back.  Some drivers are so nice that they wave at me with some of their fingers when I do that.

My need for speed doesn't stop there.  I can't stand playing cards with people who take forever to 'think it through' before laying their card.  'Please play the four of diamonds so I can get on with my life, will you?  I'm growing a beard here.'

I'm designed to move forward.  I just am.

And I think all of this has a connect to faith for me.


One of the amazing things about life with Christ is that He's always moving forward.


One of the amazing things about life with Christ is that He's always moving forward.  He isn't moving backward.  He isn't standing still.  He's going ahead.  He's always acting - always creating - always doing something good and beautiful and right - always moving you and me toward Himself.

God moves.  And He wants us to move with Him.

You see all kinds of moments in the Bible where God moves with unbelievable and unmistakable speed to people who believe in Him.  I want to live in that world.

I want to live in the world where I sense God moving me forward - where every day is a new adventure with Him - where His life and energy flow through me in ways that are life-changing, not only for me but for those around me.

I know God moves.  I know He does.  I believe I can live that world - and I believe you can too.

And be blessed.

No comments: