Thursday, November 12, 2015

SLOPPY

I had someone tell me not long ago that we need to be careful we don't express too much grace from our stage or in our conversations with both believers and unbelievers.

They wanted to see more emphasis placed on our efforts.  This, to them, was the essence of a true believer.  Anything else was lazy -- sloppy.

In defense of this view, I get it.  I do.

Paul makes it pretty clear in Romans that being a recipient of the amazing grace of God doesn't mean you get to invite all your friends to your 10 pm sin party.

But the whole grace thing really is sloppy, isn't it?

I'm still saved, but I need Jesus to come.

Because I've tried pulling up my bootstraps to be holy.  I've tried rolling up my sleeves to be holy.  I've tried to be holy by focusing on holy.  And I can do it -- for awhile.  I can pray more -- read my Bible more -- be more forgiving -- more patient -- more loving -- more kind -- with enough gritty effort, I can do it.  My sin quotient will lower.  For a time.

But praying longer may not mean I lust less.
Reading four more chapters every day may not mean I conquer pride.

I'm still saved, but I need Jesus to come.

People have said the more we speak of grace, the more license we take, but when we really understand grace, the opposite happens.  The more we comprehend the depth of what Christ did for us, the more we want to love Him - obey Him - follow Him - serve Him.  Grace does the reverse of what we thought it did - it brings us closer.

Charles Spurgeon said:  "If people do not like the doctrine of grace, give them all the more of it.'

I don't think we should stop preaching 'effort.'  Not at all.  Faith without works is dead.  But neither can we preach too much grace.  It is life and breath to us as believers in Christ.

It isn't sloppy at all - in fact, it's very neat.

And be blessed.

No comments: