Saturday, July 11, 2015

METRIC

Countries that don't use the Metric System
Being in Europe for 50 days meant I had to deal with the metric system -- kilometers, not miles -- kilos, not pounds -- liters, not gallons -- centimeters, not inches - Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

I didn't realize until recently that there are only three nations in the entire world who don't use the metric system:  Liberia, Myanmar and the U.S.  This is why when you see a semi stuck under a bridge, it's likely the driver is an immigrant from a metric-using country who couldn't convert 12' 6" in his head before hitting the overpass.

I'm not sure we're ever going to convert to metric here and get in step with the rest of the world, but I managed to figure it out after a couple of weeks on the German Autobahn.

I figured out that when I hit 160 kilometers-per-hour in my Ford Kuga SUV,  I was going 100 mph.  There's no speed limit on parts of the autobahn.  I have to say I got it up to 185 mph a few times while Joelene was snoozing (that's 115 mph, I'm just saying) and still there were people zooming past me.

During our trip, we drove 7500 kilometers (4,660 miles).  That's about the distance from Edmonton, Alberta to Mexico City.  The GPS indicated we had a total driving time of 101 hours (a little more than 4 days) through 10 different countries (Denmark, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland and Liechtenstein).

Switzerland
Our driving included some amazing and beautiful scenery (Gold medal:  Switzerland) as well as going the wrong way down one-way streets, driving on bike paths, in 'trolley-only' lanes, on pedestrian only roads and parking on sidewalks.  Nobody's perfect.

Our driving adventures also netted us one 10 euro parking ticket ($11.15) in Munich, Germany (I only left it for 15 minutes) -- and getting stopped by the Slovenian police for not having a vignette (a little $10 sticker you display on your windshield -- you stop at a gas station and get one when you cross a border to allow you to drive legally in the country).  Fine:  150 euros ($167).  Great.

In my defense, I would have stopped and purchased it if I had known I was actually in Slovenia.  There was no 'Welcome to Slovenia' sign.  C'est la vie.  Translation:  "That's life."

Best drivers:  Liechtenstein
Worst drivers:  Italy
Fastest drivers:  Germany
Slowest drivers:  Austria
Best cars:  Germany
Narrowest street:  Prague, Czech Republic / Rome, Italy

Transportation turned out to be one of my favorite experiences while in Europe.  Our list of all the things we rode on/in ...
2 airplanes
4 cars
2 boats
4 taxis
4 vans
14 busses
11 trains
1 gondola
2 ferries
1 rickshaw
1 funicular
2 bicycles
2 bobsleds
... in addition to countless bridges and tunnels.

It's good to be home, but I miss driving a standard transmission and going 100 mph.

And be blessed.

No comments: