Saturday, December 27, 2014

"G"


I was just thinking this week that maybe I should have instituted the gift-buying process years ago with Joelene right off the bat as newlyweds by following the alphabet -- year #1 I'd get her something that started with an "A" -- Year #2 something starting with a "B" -- and so on.  It would have made things maybe a little simpler and easier -- then again, maybe it would have been harder, I don't know.  I'm not sure she'd really enjoy an X-ray machine -- although by anniversary #24, maybe we'd be close enough and physically needy enough to appreciate that kind of gift.

In any case, by now I'd be starting over already and on my way to the second round of "G" gifts this year.

But think of the best gifts you've ever received for Christmas that began with the letter 'G.'

Goldfish?
Glasses?
Gingerbread?
Gum?  (We wrap sticks of gum at our house for Christmas.)
Gadgets?
Gasoline?  (That's a great gift card idea - feel free to use it.)
Gerbil?  (This would be a gift from your enemy, most likely.)
Garden Gnomes? (There's a double-G gift)
Guitar?
Games?
Golf Bag?
Gold Necklace?
Gloves?
George Foreman Grill?
Gun?
Green Bay Packer tix?  (Boom)
Garage Door?  (OK, I'm stretching now)

One of the greatest gifts you've ever been given has come in the form of a 'G.'  It is a gift that has nothing to do with you, the receiver.  It has everything to do with the Giver.  This gift isn't expensive - and it isn't cheap.  It's free.

It's GRACE.

Think about grace in your own life.  Chances are you've brushed up against it at some point.

Someone let you off the hook for something when you least expected it or deserved it.
You said something mega-insensitive to your spouse and in the morning they didn't hold it against you.
A parent was super lenient when you broke a major family rule.

Grace always comes as a surprise.

That's what God gave us by sending Jesus - at Christmas - as a Baby.  But the Baby didn't stay a baby - the Baby grew up.  He became an adult who never once sinned as you and I do.  And He ultimately walked willingly to a cross to be crucified for your sins and for mine - in our place - as our substitute - because He loved us - so we could experience amazing grace.  

'God demonstrated His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.'  (Romans 5:8)

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just in the 'spirit of fun' on this blog post...I received 3 'G' presents this Christmas. Glasses (sun), gloves and a Green Bay Packer blanket throw. Love me some Packers! But anyway, you are speaking of grace.

You made reference to saying something insensitive. I seriously hate arguing, but sometimes things just play out that way. Overall, I am pretty easy-going and roll-with-the-flow. I have my opinions and feelings and I expect that others do, too.

I suppose just to equate it to some sort of psychobabble...I may be passive-aggressive. I'm not a doormat, but I tend to let things slide here and there...then at some point, it all builds up, and something ELSE happens. Then, I feel completely fed up and I can have a very sharp tongue. Sometimes, I regret it...but, at other times, I feel as if I put up with so much already that I feel vindicated.

I don't know. Is letting things blow over offering someone grace? Does it even count if, in the recesses of your mind, you haven't forgotten...then later blow your stack? I'm pretty sure God's grace is a little more reliable. It's a good thing! If God held onto all of my offenses and suddenly exploded...well, we all know what would happen.

I'm much more assertive than I was before, but I still need to work on that. I guess when it comes to grace, that I give a little here and there, but I do have a limit. When Jesus said to forgive ad infinitum...well, I have my good days and my bad days. :/

Anonymous said...

I read the best article on Introverts I have ever read today. I felt like it was written all about me. I know you said that you and Joelene (if I'm not mistaken) are Introverts, too. I thought you might find it interesting. The article did make mention of being creative and even speaking before crowds. That describes you. Anyway, just thought I would share.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/07/physical-behavior-of-introverts_n_6069438.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063