Thursday, November 13, 2014

VEG

Warning:  Cynicism levels high


Since my life is more and more an open book on this blog -- here goes:

Some people have asked what's going on with me lately.

Nothing.  What do you mean?

Well, you're losing weight.  I see you eating salads everywhere and walking right by the mashed potatoes and chocolate bar.  What's gotten into you?  Are you a vegetarian now?  Some vegan nutcase?

No -- and -- ummm, no.

Since I called our church to the 21-day fast back in August, stuff happened to me - mostly good.  First, God moved and spoke in my life.  And after what turned out to be more like 6 weeks of fasting, eating only fruits and vegetables, physically and mentally I felt better at the end of the fast than I did before I began.  Joelene, too.  (Please see the Old Testament book of Daniel, chapter 1.)  Yes, I lost about 12 pounds, but I wasn't really going for that - it just happened.

So Joelene and I decided to continue.  Vegetarians?  Not really.  Eating mostly fruits and vegetables now?  Yes.  If you invite us over, will we shun your grilled burger?  Of course not - invite us over.  Medium rare, please.  We're not 'those people.'  We'll still break actual bread and cut actual steak with you.

But we've changed some things.  You can continue being unhealthy if you choose.  It's just what we've decided to do.  Mind your own business.

And now, for the first time in our lives, we're fielding some of the comments 'those people' always talk about.  For instance:

'Do you mind if I eat this in front of you?'
No.  I don't mind that you're carnivorous.  Unless you're eating that in front of me just to make me feel badly, in which case I only mind that you're kind of a jerk.

'Why are you here - at Famous Dave's?'
Because it's Friday.  Be quiet.

'Mmmmmm.  This is so good.  You don't know what you're missing.'
It hasn't been that long.  I ate all that for fifty years.  I haven't forgotten yet what it tastes like.

'What DO you eat?  How do you stay alive?  How do you get your protein?'
I don't know.  Adam and Eve did OK.  They lived awhile.  I'm more interested in how YOU stay alive, inhaling all you inhale.  The list of natural superfoods and nutritional powerhouses is long: quinoa, hummus, kale, other dark green stuff, berries, nuts, all kinds of beans, varied grains.  I get by.

So there it is.  I said it.  I am now open to all the insults and jokes I know are going to automatically come my way now as one of "those people."

I was just having fun.  I hope we were having fun together.  I'm off to La Fogata.

And be blessed.

Cynicism levels may now return to normal.

5 comments:

Clear Vision said...

P.K, I never really thought about how much people view your life and your lovely wife's life under a microscope. Must be truly difficult. I applaud your boldness, and comical post. My family and I have our lives under constant attack for deciding to homeschool our children, by not letting them indulge in fast food, eating healthier, not watching or listening to everything everyone else does. It is so awesome to know we do these things for the betterment of our family, to raise Strong Christian children. We'll continue to keep you both in our prayers.

Unknown said...

You crack me up PK. I JUST told Andrew at dinner tonight that I not only felt better during the fast, I enjoyed it! I see your blog as a sign!!!!

Anonymous said...

First off, let me say that I love that you are posting other subjects than reprised sermons. It's refreshing and fabulous! I have missed those days.

I had this sneaking suspicion that you and Joelene might continue your fast in some way. I have only fasted three days, tops, but I really did feel good. It feels so healthy.

Hmmm, my Mom and I were eating a more vegan diet for a few months. I highly recommend black-bean burgers. Google a recipe. One of my favorites.

I just made a trip to the grocery store this morning. I had a taste for a fresh fruit salad. I had it in my cart. It looked good. Then, I walked past the white cheddar popcorn...it called my name. I ended up skipping the fruit salad. :/

I've always wondered why all of the best things are the unhealthiest. I'm sure it is what you train your taste buds to crave. When I have gone away from buttery, fatty food, then it tastes heavy when I stray back. At any rate, good for you two! I am sure your heart will thank you! :)

PS....I adore La Fogata! Just an aside, for Mexican food, there is a restaurant called Pepe's in Gurnee that is wonderful! It is reasonably priced, too. Google it. My brother took me there.

PK's BLOG said...

For the record, I only 'reprise' sermons on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

Haha....any rate, it is awesome to hear the 'other' things on your mind and in your life.