Friday, November 7, 2014

PASSION

There was a poll taken among pastors across the nation that asked:  'What would you consider the church's greatest threat?'

The number one answer?  Lost passion for God.

Another question asked: 'What would you consider the church's greatest weakness?'

The number one answer?  Lack of zeal for God.

Same thing said two different ways.

PASSION = intense emotion -- great enthusiasm -- hunger -- thirst -- craving -- fervency -- obsession, even.

Passion is the force behind almost anything great.

It's what inspired DaVinci to paint The Last Supper.
It's why Handel wrote The Hallelujah Chorus.
It caused Ludwig II of Bavaria to commission Neuschwanstein Castle.
It inspired Harper Lee to write 'To Kill a Mockingbird."
It moved Martin Luther King, Jr to deliver the 'I have a Dream' speech.
It's what moved in the hearts of the Berliners to tear down the Berlin Wall 25 years ago today.

Passion.

Nothing great is ever sustained in life without it.  It makes the impossible possible.  It gives you a reason to get up in the morning.  You have to be passionate about something to survive with any meaning.

Passion is to "Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.'  That's what that means.

Serve God passionately.  Worship Him passionately.  Do life with others passionately.  Tell people about Jesus passionately.  'Whatever you do, do it with passion - with all your heart.'

It's acceptable in our day and age to be passionate about anything and everything except God.

Cars.
Food.
Sports.
Apple products.
Fashion.
Politics.
Social media.
Our jobs.

But Romans 12 tells us to 'never be lacking in zeal -- keep your spiritual passion.'

Keep stoking it.  It won't just happen.  Make the choice to be passionate about God.  If you're going to have a life obsession, let it be Jesus.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be perfectly 'real', I think of things in my life that I am really passionate about it would, more than likely, verge on obsession. I have had things that I have considered a passion in my life.

Right now, I have avid interest in politics, social media and imbibing. I don't consider them passions, though. I am bipolar, so I know all about the manic highs. It is the 'over-the-top' feeling that you get. The sky is the ceiling then. That feels like passion to me. Life is on a more even keel now.

There have been times in my life that I wonder what will be overwhelming for me again. It is unhealthy, but such an adrenaline rush. There is this corner of my mind that longs for it.

Anyway....I will be the first to admit, Jesus was an avid interest in the past, but never an obsession. If He were HERE, then that would be another story. I know you are in the midst of a series on the Holy Spirit and how He is a being. I can't seem to wrap my arms around that, though.

I have a couple of books called 'Falling in Love With Jesus'. I still have them. Makes me wonder, would I be like Peter in His presence or like Simon, asking for more proof that He was real. Sincerely, I think if He performed miracles in my sight, that I would be more like Peter. I don't mean to make light of it, but where is Jesus???

Oh well, if you don't want to publish this it's no big deal. These are the things that flow thru my mind having read this, though.

Anonymous said...

"It gives you a reason to get up in the morning. You have to be passionate about something to survive with any meaning."

When I read this I think... What energizes me? What is my passion? Do I have one? I was pondering that. I love politics, sports, social media...BUT I realized today that, YES, I do feel passionate about something! I have an insatiable curiosity and constantly research and investigate all kinds of things. So I really am passionate about acquiring knowledge. Lest you wonder, wisdom and knowledge are two totally different things...lol. If I had one wish I would wish for wisdom. I have made some terrible mistakes before. At any rate, learning something new and interesting really is exciting for me. An example just came to mind. A few years ago, I was intensely interested in physics. The workings of the world are truly amazing. I devoured books on it. It's been a long time since I set my sights on learning more. I might just have to seek out some info online. We have learned so much more by now. Our universe and everything in it, large and small, is incredible. This is the kind of thing that fascinates me.

PS...how do you make the 'choice' to be passionate about God? I've never really been able to will anything into a passion. It's there or it's not.