Tuesday, November 18, 2014

NARCOLEPSY

When I was in college there was a young woman who would fall asleep standing up.  When we were in chapel - at the end of the prayer we'd all sit down and there she'd be, in the balcony still standing up, fast asleep.  Sitting in the cafeteria presumably praying for her meal --- for 40 minutes --- head down - fully asleep.

It's called narcolepsy.  So sad for her.

Joelene tells me I fall asleep faster than any human being she knows -- though I don't know how many humans she's regularly in a room with trying to get to sleep -- I'm pretty sure not that many.  Nevertheless, she's fond of saying that nobody dozes off faster than moi.  I can be talking to her in bed during full debate about the Middle East conflict and suddenly I'm not answering.  Right in the middle of the conversation - often when I know I can't win the debate.  Immediate and sudden lights out.

It's a gift.

We took in the movie "Interstellar" Monday night this week at the theater.  It was so spur of the moment.  We were the only folks in the whole auditorium by the time the previews started and when the movie proved less than 'stellar' for me, I put my skills to good use.


Of course, she saved me from embarrassing myself (in front of nobody) by giving a slight nudge when she saw my head thrown back, mouth agape in the darkness, 'enjoying' the movie.

They say the normal time to fall asleep at night is somewhere between 10-20 minutes.  I'm already dreaming of high speed car chases by then.

Other research claims falling asleep overly fast means you may be sleep-deprived.  Nonsense.  It's a sign of a clear conscience (says I -- um -- me).

"When you lie down, you will not be afraid;  when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."  (Proverbs 3:24)

Case closed.  Boom.

You should try it.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...you are too funny! It normally takes me a little while to fall asleep, but I can't count all of the times that I have fallen asleep in my recliner with my laptop and the tv playing CNN....ALOT. I am a sound sleeper, too. A couple of times I finally woke up in my chair, looked at the clock and it is 5am! Usually, I just don't want to go to bed. Who wants to go to sleep when there are so many interesting things going on in the world??? Mornings are another story. I'm definitely a night owl. My brother often takes 'power naps.' He sleeps for 15 minutes and boom he's awake and refreshed. I don't know how he does it. That really is a gift. When I have to work in the mornings, I get there early and down a big energy drink. It helps some. Coffee does nothing for me, other than it tastes good. I have had so many people tell me those drinks are so bad for your heart...oh well, so is drinking. Who knows how many years I have taken off my life. Sigh...I remember the days when it wasn't an issue. I seriously haven't had a big problem until maybe five years ago. Something like that.

I remember the times when I dreamt I could fly. That is so cool! Or when I was a kid and I dreamed I was Batgirl...lol. Or the time I slept on the bottom bunkbed with my brother on top and I dreamt there were hundreds of spiders dropping down on me. I was freaking out when my Mom tried to wake me. I still hate spiders. Oh well. Sleep is overrated. I's rather be doing something interesting...

Joelene said...

2I 'LITerally' laughed out loud. :-)

Anonymous said...

This has 'zero' to do with your sleep habits, but you know me, sometimes I like to inject current events. Immigration reform is in the news a lot lately. I'm in favor of it, but it is not an 'over-the-top' issue for me. However, I was thinking back to one of the speakers at JC...many years ago. He was terribly interesting. He was a former terrorist who became a Christian. The thing that really stood out me is this...

He was talking about the ratio of families in the Muslim/Middle Eastern world vs the size of a typical Caucasian family. For lack of a better term there will be far more 'brown' people than white in a short span of time. The number of children that Middle Eastern or Mexican families have is much larger than Caucasian families. I apologize for the term 'brown', but my friend, whose family is Mexican used it as an example. He said the world is getting 'browner.'

So, that brings me back to the subject of immigration. In my view, I am supportive of any race that are decent people. I can't say law-abiding without causing an uproar about illegal immigrants. Anyway, the world is changing and growing much smaller. My own grandchildren are Vietnamese/Caucasian. Yes, they are the minority...or, are they? I really do think we should accept, or at the very least, tolerate one another. It's a big world and it is here...right now. Get used to it.