Tuesday, October 21, 2014

MUGGLES

I have a love-hate relationship with cars.

The love part is -- my collection of twenty-plus 1:18 scale 1950's cars displayed in my office.  I just like to look at them.  And yeah, when nobody's around, take them down and sit on the floor and 'play,' just like I used to when I was 8, running my Matchbox cars around the oval braided rug in my great-grandmother's little living room.  I still have a suitcase with 50 of those Matchbox cars.

I've never been a Ford guy - or a Chevy guy - or a Chrysler guy - or a Honda guy --- something more interesting.  I love cars.  That's mine in the pic.

The hate part is -- well -- everything else.

I've had more repairs and breakdowns than you can shake a stick at.  Probably because I'm not a Ford or Chevy or Chrysler or Honda guy.

Several years back, when my BMW was rear-ended, I spent the next several months being towed by AAA seven times because it didn't get repaired right.

We've owned a Land Rover Discovery --- things were constantly going wrong and I spent more on repairs on that thing until I decided it was no longer even Christian to own it.

I am the victim of series of unfortunate events when it comes to cars.  I'm just sayin.'  For instance, over the past few months my love-hate relationship with cars has definitely leaned toward hate.  Here's what's gone down:

1)  This summer I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a woman with no insurance.

2)  Last month the receptacle that stands in the corner of my garage that holds an assortment of rakes, shovels, big lawn tools, hoes, etc ... fell on my car, producing large scrapes all down one side.

3)  Two weeks ago I came out to my car from a local store and found someone had backed into my front end and left without leaving a note.

4)  Then yesterday, I'm sitting at a stop light, second car back from the intersection.  The young lady in front of me got stopped by the yellow and because she had wandered out a little too far into the intersection, decided to back up to get behind the traffic line - smart girl.  I sat there watching her back up my direction.  At some point while we are all waiting for the green, I noticed she'd forgotten to put her car back in 'Drive.'  Yeah, she was still in 'reverse.'  I thought to myself, 'No.  Huh-uh.  Not going to happen.'  And yet, as we continued to wait, her back up lights continued to smirk at me.  Yep.  This is going down in about 20 seconds.  I scrolled thru my options.  Honk?  Would that do anything?  Put my car in 'park,' get out and run up to her window to let her know?  What to do?  Wave like a maniac and hope she saw?  I kept thinking, 'Any second now she's going to realize she's still in reverse.'  But no.  The light turned green and I thought, 'Here it is.' Being rear-ended wasn't enough, God?  Rakes and shovels - not enough?  Front end cracked up.  There's more?  And sure enough, she put her foot on the gas and ... drove in reverse.

Now -- before you cry "NO WAY!!!" -- she did get her foot back on the brake before ramming my front end, so on this one occasion, I averted another disaster.

But this is really too much.  My nerves (and wallet) can't take much more.  Your car looks pretty good right now, doesn't it?

'Don't let the muggles get you down.'

And be blessed.

No comments: