Saturday, October 11, 2014

HERE

We all want to be known for something.  You know that's true.

Maybe you don't want to be known by the world, but you want to be known by somebody - and you want to be known for something.  If anything, you want to be known as the guy who doesn't care if he's known for anything.

See how that works?

Your looks - your lifestyle - your accomplishments - your great kids - your education - your business acumen - your skill or ability - your wisdom or common sense - the car you drive - the house you live in ---- you want to be known for something.

The problem - and we can all relate to this - is when there's a gap between what you want to be known for and what you really are.

We all want to be known for something -- but what we need is to be known by someone.  In fact, what we really need even more is to be known by a community of someones who can know all about us and still accept us as we are and yet love us too much to see us stay that way.

That's exactly what the local church is supposed to provide.  The local church at its core is supposed to be a community of people who know there's a gap and who will say: 'We know you have a gap between what you want to be and what you really are and we don't care.  We'll love you anyway and we'll come alongside you and help you uncover that gap and love you into growth in the Kingdom.'

'If there was ever a place where a person should be able to say, "It isn't all as it appears, it's right here."

And honestly, as Christ followers, we should amazing at this.  We're forgiven; so we should be the most incredible forgivers.  We've been accepted by God in spite of ourselves;  we should be the best accepters of others.

We should be part of a community who says:  "We don't care what kind of baggage you brought in here - we love you.'  

You aren't going to find any condemnation (at Journey Church) and here's why -- because we're all people who know we should be condemned, but we've learned God isn't going to do that to us.  He said, "I'll send my Son for you so you won't ever be condemned" --- and because of that there's no condemnation here in the local church for you either.

None.

If there was ever a place where a couple should be able to open to other couples and say: "It isn't all as it appears, it's right here."

If there was ever a place where a single person should be able to say:  "Here's what I am on the outside - but here's who I actually am," it's right here.

And not only should we be the kind of place where people can open up and say: 'Here's who I am,' we should be the place where we add, 'And we'll totally accept you from moment one - we'll love you and walk with you so you can become everything God has called you to be.'

Right here.

That's the core of what the local church is supposed to be.

Do life together.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been so grateful that I have experienced such care and grace at JC. No matter my flaws you and Pastor Lisa and Jim have always been so kind and loving. It means so much to me. I found a group of people at Freedom Seekers that dealt with the same issues that I have. You know, when I came to the 'church' I imagined that these are the chosen ones...no glaring sins. My addiction was my dirty, little secret. The last people I wanted to confide in was a bunch of 'church people.' I came there to be changed and it was too hard to admit how far I had to go. Then, over time, I found that so many have their own cross to bear. I made friends there, but I will admit that most of them don't know my situation. I'd like to think they would still care for me. I think they would. My friends there are very kind that way.

So many people think of the congregation as 'perfect.' Outsiders may see them as close to Jesus as they can be...and pass judgment when they aren't. In some ways, I think that those outside of the church can be more harsh in their assessment than anyone. High standards are expected. I have to say, there have been a couple of ladies at my job that go to church regularly, but they aren't the nicest people I know. I guess it falls into the grumpy Christian you wrote about a couple of blogs ago. Anyway, maybe I should treat them in a more considerate way and then they will lose their edge. Sometimes I have to smooth over the sharper outlook of some of my customers, too. You learn to read people and respond accordingly.

All in all, I can't really say that I have had an unpleasant relationship with anyone at JC. Yes, there have been moments, but they seem to always be resolved. We come back to the heart that Jesus gave us.