Monday, August 4, 2014

UNITY

The whole 'unity' thing bothers me.  It bothers me because it's sometimes just about the hardest thing to maintain, not to mention thrive under.

The curious thing is that unity is something we as followers of Jesus Christ already possess.  We don't have to grasp for it or achieve it; we already have it.

Our unity in the Spirit exists by virtue of the fact that each of us are individually united to Christ by His Spirit.  Because of that, we are inextricably bonded together, like it or not.  The problem very often is, we don't like it.

'I haven't always realized how tough it might be to preserve and uphold what we already possess.'

I haven't always realized how tough it might be to preserve and uphold what we already possess.

Distinct, yes.
Different, yes.
Divided, no.

I struggle with this big time.  I don't know if I'll ever get it or get over it.  I think our divisions deeply offend Jesus.  I know for sure it's what keeps the world fully content being anti-church.

What unites us - Jesus - is far greater than what divides us.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel a bit stupid for having to ask, but here goes. When you refer to unity...are you talking about Assembly of God... all denominations... or humanity...or all of the above? I guess I am a little surprised that you struggle with it.

I will say that when I hear that someone is a Christian, I have pre-conceived expectations of the type of person they might be. Basically, loving and moral. When a Christian behaves in an unkind way it leaves a bad taste. I just don't expect it and I think it reflects poorly on the majority. I suppose I take a step back and unity would not be something I would feel.

I think one current example would be some Christians who are pro-Israel and they are constantly angry. I know someone like that. I think it is possible to understand both Israelis and Palestinians.(not Hamas) I think all human suffering is tragic. I don't tend to see these things as black and white. I have a harder time feeling a sense of unity with them.

I think, for the most part, that I like being part of the 'Family of God.' Honestly, I know I am on the fringes. I have my own issues that separate me from others.

Do you have a difficult time with other denominations and their beliefs? I wonder why it is hard for you?

Anonymous said...

I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but I tried to put myself in your shoes. JC seems to be mainly a loving and welcoming church. It just seems that being a Senior Pastor that you are in the fore-front and take the brunt of opinions from the flock. I get the sense that you are overwhelmingly loved and appreciated. I am among them! However, you also hear the seeds of discontent. "Everyone's a critic."

I've heard some people think the church has become too worldly (not just ours). Personally, I think that the church needs to be able to relate to the people of the world. That language changes over the years. If you remain true to the Word and the deep-down message is one of salvation, then isn't the method of communication a secondary issue? I think, overwhelmingly, that the Church stands for something, but does it in a loving way. Just different styles of showing it.

PK's BLOG said...

I wasn't referring in particular to our denomination (or any denom) or to our church either -- i was referring to people in general. It can be hard to just get along, it seems.

I agree that the family of God is where it's at - but even we struggle at times. I, like you, am thankful to be part of a church that gets it in right ways more often than not. We have our moments, but we have more good ones than the other kind, gratefully.

As to the church becoming more worldly, i completely disagree. Things people point to when they say that are things that the church should re-claim and redeem. Very often people are referring to lights, music, sound, dress, etc. These are things the world has hijacked and when the church makes gains to reach out with the greatest relevance possible, some accuse us of worldliness. It is nonsense in my view, and I don't mind saying so here. One of our Journey Church values, being outward focused, is described as: 'we will do anything short of sin to see people won for Christ.'

Blessings.