Saturday, August 23, 2014

FLEX

How would you like me to bore you silly right now?  Here's how I could do that.  If I started blogging about a topic like, say, SELF-DISCIPLINE, you'd hang up on me like an annoying telemarketer.

Because self-discipline is so tiresome.

'Self-discipline is so tiresome.'

And yet, it's critical.

Self-discipline is just like a muscle.  if you don't use it, you lose it.

For instance, at one point maybe you didn't need much TV.   But slowly, over time, you began to say: 'I'll just sit here in front of the TV and relax' -- and you'd go into brainless mode.  You started needing TV to relax.  The next thing you knew you needed TV in your bedroom to fall asleep.

I'm not saying TV in your bedroom is evil - far from it - but there's a progression and often even pleasant, harmless addictions have a downward spiral.

For some, that pattern plays itself out with food or stuff.  For others, it's the internet -- and we fail to flex our self-discipline muscle.  And if you don't flex it, eventually you lose that muscle.

Apply that to flossing.  If I want to have teeth when I'm 70, I'll floss -- because the cost of dental surgery in 20 years is a lot more than the cost of the self-discipine of flossing today.

Do I like sugar and white bread and pasta?  Of course - but the cost of Type 2 Diabetes in 20 years is a lot higher than the cost of self-discipline today.

That's what is so beautiful about consistent exercising of the S-D muscle beause nothing ever becomes a stronghold when we continue flexing it.

We work it and work it and work it so that when adversity comes (not if, but when), we just have to flex it a little because we're flexing it all the time.

Get flexing.  You'll be so glad you did.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, am I in trouble.... :/ To say that self-discipline is not my strong suit would be an understatement. I DO floss every day...maybe there's a smidge of hope for me. Then again, maybe not...

I am soooo addicted to my laptop. It is on the minute I get home until I go to bed at night. And at work I am on my smartphone on breaks and lunches. I have had a couple of times when my computer was down and you would think I had lost my best friend in the world. I can't really imagine 'unplugging.' Maybe if I went on a great vacation, but that's not happening, so I guess will continue with the program.

Anyway, I think I need to eat my Wheaties...lol. The most 'flexing' I do is at work lifting heavy shopping bags.

I think I have three areas in my life that are woefully undisciplined. In order:

1. Wine
2. Internet
3. Food

I know, I just thought of a big one that I AM disciplined in! Work! I am a hard worker and I really do take my responsibilities seriously. Well, at least there's that...sigh.

NOW, stop nagging! lol