Tuesday, August 26, 2014

FAST

Journey Church is on a 21-day fast beginning this week.  So many of our folks have jumped on with us it's flat out awesome.  They're going to not only to spend time in prayer but withhold and give up and sacrifice in order to hear from God.

I've been getting a lot of 'can I, can't I?' questions regarding the fast just over the past two days.

That shows a heart that wants to please God.  And let me just say -- you are.

You are.

But there is no need to be legalistic about your fast.  Self-discipline, yes.  Soberness and diligence, yes.

Be serious about it.  Sometimes folks say: 'I'm on a vegetable and fruit only fast, so can I have nuts?  Because nuts are technically a fruit, aren't they?'

Or, 'What about salad dressing, especially if it's fruity-based?'

Or, 'Can I have wheat products?  Isn't that really a vegetable?'  

And before long we're including noodles and burritos and half of Taco Bell's menu is now on the fast.

No.  Be serious about it.

But . . . don't be legalistic.  Because then we just all start to feel guilty.  'You had eight potato chips!! You're done!!  God flew away.'  And we've missed the whole point.

Give up what matters most to you in exchange for what matters most to God.

And if you happen to be on a Daniel fast over these 21 days, as I am, here's a link to help you with the right foods:

http://danielfast.wordpress.com/daniel-fast-food-list/

And be blessed.

No comments: