Saturday, July 26, 2014

TWITTER

Over and again in the Bible, Jesus calls people to follow.  He calls prostitutes, tax collectors, wicked unclean people, religious people who thought they had their act together.  He called them -- and He calls us -- to follow Him.

Follow Christ -- that's what it's about.

But I'm afraid for many of us, 'follow Jesus' may no longer mean the same thing to us as when Jesus originally said it.

One of the things I think of these days when I hear the word 'follow' is Twitter.

I didn't get Twitter at first.

I just ate a sandwich.
I'm getting my hair cut.
I'm at the grocery store.

But then I realized I could encourage people by being on Twitter.   I could tweet a Scripture -- I could write a note of empowerment to anybody who was following me.

So I signed up.

Since then, people have followed me and I've followed all kinds of people -- and then, after I got bored with them, I 'un-followed' them.

If you want to 'follow' someone on Twitter, it's really simple.  You visit their Twitter page and just hit the 'follow' button.  Then you start receiving their tweets on your personal devices like your iPhone.  I've done it with people like Paul Ryan, Mark Cuban and Dave Ramsey, as well as many lesser knowns.

But what does it mean that I'm following, say, Donald Trump -- and what does it mean that people are following me?  I mean, they might read my tweets and then again, they might just ignore me.

'Jesus isn't a button to be clicked on.'

Here's what I'm afraid of.  I'm afraid those who say, "I'm a follower of Jesus Christ" may be following Jesus the same way I'm following Mark Cuban -- which is to say, 'I'll click your button and say I'm a 'follower,' but I'll pick and choose which parts of what you say to pay attention to.  If it works for me, I'll do it.  If I agree with it, I'll listen.  But otherwise ... '

But Jesus isn't a button to be clicked on.  He's to be worshipped and honored and obeyed and followed.  He isn't one among many - He's the One and only true God.

No others.  Just One.  I'll go where You lead -- I'll sacrifice -- I'll take up a cross and follow You -- You're my Leader.

That's the burning passion of our hearts as followers of Jesus Christ.

And be blessed.

No comments: