Wednesday, July 16, 2014

MYOPIA

I'm nearsighted.  You may be as well - many people are.

Nearsighted means you can see things close up but you have a way harder time seeing things at a distance unaided.  It's called myopia.  Farsighted (hyperopia) would be the opposite of that, of course.  People who are farsighted kind of scare me.  I mean, how is it a person can see things far away but not see things up close?  It's just too freaky to think about.  Kind of like people who like beets. (Shiver)

So yeah, I'm nearsighted.  Myopic.  I can't see things far away - like seven feet away.

A long while back I was at the optometrist and I was sitting in the famous 'birthing chair' they have there, facing the white wall where the doc shows letters you're supposed to correctly guess and hope you're correct.

The doctor asked me to read the top line he had put up on the wall.  I squinted ever so slightly, just enough that he couldn't tell I was trying to help myself see, as if my everyday expression is a slight squint.  I actually narrow my eyes when I first meet a new eye doctor just so he thinks that's how I always look.  That way when I squint to see the letters on the wall, it won't seem weird to him, but it will help me a lot.

But try as I might, I couldn't see the top line with my 'regular squint' and had to squint a little more - and a little more - and a little more.  At some point, when I eventually narrowed my eyes to the point I looked like I lived underground, the doc said:  'You can't see it, can you?'  

'Ummm ... no.  Sorry.'

At that point, he rotated the magic NASA-type binocular contraption around in front of me and it was then I realized it was the Giant "E" that's at the top of every eye chart that I was supposed to be 'reading.'

Yeah.  I'm nearsighted, also known as 'blind' in my case.

But isn't nearsightedness the cause of most of our sin?  We can become spiritually myopic.  You only see what's right in front of you.  There's a temptation and you're thinking, 'Man, I really want to do that and it's gonna feel great - I know it is - smoke this -- drink that -- enjoy this -- go to that website -- because it isn't really going to affect me and nobody will ever find out.'  

And few people are thinking, 'But how am I going to feel right afterwards?'  

Few are thinking, 'What will my wife or husband feel the next day about what I've done?'  

Almost nobody is wondering, 'How will this impact my children for the rest of their days?'  

It's the rare person who ponders, 'Will I regret this the remainder of my stay on the Earth?'

'I'm nearsighted, also known as "blind" in my case.'

You don't see those moments because you're nearsighted to the point of being blind.  All I know is that for the next 30 minutes I'm going to have so much fun.

Maybe some are caught in the middle of nearsightedness right now.  You don't see the impact for eternity and so you'll forsake your relationship with God because all you can see is what's in front of you and no further right now.

'Having forgotten you were cleansed from your former sin' -- that's what Peter said.

Profound question:  Have you forgotten?  Did you forget you were cleansed?

Look.  And see.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise to comment further, but HAHAHA!!! You are so funny in the beginning of your post! Yep, I am far-sighted. Every single day at work I need to see teeny-weeny numbers at work, so I have readers. Getting old is a pain...lol. I tried 'real' bifocals and they gave me a headache, so I will hold off for that.

PS...I don't like beets. Maybe there is hope for me yet! :)

To be continued....

Anonymous said...

"A long while back I was at the optometrist and I was sitting in the famous 'birthing chair' they have there, facing the white wall where the doc shows letters you're supposed to correctly guess and hope you're correct."

PS...you have NO idea about a 'birthing chair'...lol. Just ask Joelene. :p

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is more serious. I feel a bit like I am going to confession with the priest, but I feel as if I should confess.

I asked someone I know for a ten dollar loan today since I get paid tomorrow and will pay them right back. I said it was my day off and I was feeling antsy and wanted to go get something to eat. Well, I did those things...no lie. However, the biggest reason I ever asked in the first place was that I really wanted to buy a bottle of wine. It's been a few days and it wasn't too bad without, but, like I said, it's my day off...

Anyway, I normally listen to Christian talk radio in my car. What do you suppose was on when I started my car up? They were talking about integrity. Being a person of your word. Ughhhh! I confess, it didn't stop me, but it sure as heck convicted me.

I will pay them back tomorrow after work, but that's not the point. God knows I shouldn't be doing it and He let me know. Sometimes, it is a comfort to know that God knows everything about me...and other times, there is really nowhere to hide.

Anonymous said...

"Maybe some are caught in the middle of nearsightedness right now. You don't see the impact for eternity and so you'll forsake your relationship with God because all you can see is what's in front of you and no further right now."

I'm not trying to highjack your blog, but this particular post has so many things I want to comment on.

I alluded to the fact that I 'live in the moment.' It's very hard to see forever for me. As you said, I have forsaken my relationship with God. I'm not hiding from Him, but I am ignoring Him. I guess that is the best way to put it.

I wish I could feel close to Him, right down to the bones of my being. I've gotten closer in the past, but it's never really been consuming. I wish it were, so that it would drown out all of the other distractions in my life. You're the expert...how do I get there when Jesus is not there? The Holy Spirit is not the same.