Tuesday, July 15, 2014

KNOW

Love the family of God.  Love those outside the family of God.  Make every effort to live in peace and harmony with one another.

Just close this link and don't read another word.  There is nothing more to say or to know.

That's it.  Finis.  Finito.  Terminato.  Fernig.  Klaar.  Fardig.  Fini.  Tetelestai.

Done.

Love others.

Is that what you're known for?  And if you aren't, be honest.  Isn't that what you'd like to be known for - that when people dislike you, even hate you and speak against you or treat you ill, you love them anyway?

And isn't that what we really signed up for in this whole Christ-follower deal?

'What more would you like Jesus to do?'

Think on this very hard.

I know you're patient like Christ.
I know you have super-human self-control.
I know you spread great joy everywhere you go.
I know you're compassionate.
I know you serve sacrificially.
I know you're super-generous.
I know you do good things.
I know your faith is enough to pull down mountains.
I know you're humble as all get out.

But how do you love - particularly those who come against you?

Are you like Jesus in that way - and isn't that alone the essence of the Gospel you say you live?  What more would you like Jesus to do to bring that to bear in your life?

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think Get ye behind me satan, is a great line and I just wanna find the right moment to use it. In Jesus's name. ;)

Anonymous said...

Equally important is when we are praying for the Holy Spirit or Gods will, are we even going to recognize it when it (HE) shows up?

Anonymous said...

Maybe I have the wrong image of 'love.' I tend to think of it as this warm, fuzzy feeling and a 'I want to spend time with you.' Having said that, I have this overall, general, love for others who inhabit this marvelous world. As far as I know, I have no enemies and I truly do live in harmony. Lest I describe this in the wrong way...yes, I do have the occasional disagreement. It's just not my style.

When I look at your description of the various qualities, these are my strong suit:

'I know you spread great joy everywhere you go.' I try to make someone's day a little brighter.

'I know you're compassionate'. This is pretty much true for me. I am decidedly imperfect and I give that lee-way to others...grace, have you.

'I know you do good things.' I truly do try to be a good person. I don't have any desire to hurt someone else. I want to be a light in their lives.

'I know you're humble as all get out'. I am pretty humble. I don't have all of trappings of the average person, for one. Like I said, I am so flawed, so I don't imagine I am better than others. And, unless it is an egregious situation, my heart goes out to others who are caught up in their own sin and circumstances. I have my own cross to bear. I understand.

I just wonder what God's idea and your interpretation is for 'love.' Is it really big or somewhat cozy and kind?






I know you're patient like Christ.
I know you have super-human self-control.
I know you spread great joy everywhere you go.
I know you're compassionate.
I know you serve sacrificially.
I know you're super-generous.
I know you do good things.
I know your faith is enough to pull down mountains.
I know you're humble as all get out.


Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....I re-read your post and dived a little deeper into it. This is the part that stood out for me:

"Is that what you're known for? And if you aren't, be honest. Isn't that what you'd like to be known for - that when people dislike you, even hate you and speak against you or treat you ill, you love them anyway?"

Yikes! When someone confronts me or speaks ill of me, I tend to get very quiet. My tongue becomes tied and I don't know what to say. It is extremely uncomfortable. I had enough of that growing up..anyway...

Depending on what their issue is with me, I can become defensive. It may strike a nerve of knowing full-well it is true. As in, "Thou doest protest too much.' Other times, I feel misunderstood. But, all too often, I write them off in my mind. I wish no ill-will against them, but I don't tend to hold a grudge too often. I just 'lick my wounds' and move on.

The bottom line is, when someone is against me, I need Jesus to do a work in me there. That's for sure. Yet another crack in the veneer... :/