Friday, June 27, 2014

SPECIES

Imagine that all the species got together and said: "We're going to form a committee and figure out what God would have to go thru to understand human suffering."

Poor people would say: 'I think He should be homeless.'
Grieving people would say:  'I think He should lose someone dear to Him.'
Outcasts would say:  'He should be rejected by society.'
Abuse victims would say:  'He should face serious physical violence, abandonment and betrayal.'

Then and only then should God have the right to say, 'I know what it is to suffer.'

Are you getting that?  Why would a loving God allow suffering?  Not only because a loving God allows you, but because a loving God suffered Himself.  He sent His Son to die on a cross and then that Holy Son was tempted like we are - experienced life like we do - shared limitations as you and I have -- without ever sinning.  Then He willingly walked to a cross to die a suffering death in our place - as our substitute - to pay the price for the sins of a world God deeply loved.

Next time we're tempted to doubt God and ask how in the world He could allow such suffering and evil to occupy the same planet as us, recall that He put Himself in a position of suffering -- to an extent far worse than any one of us reading has ever and shall ever experience.

And maybe that one fact answers this dilemma once for all - because that's the grand story of the Gospel, friends.  It all points to a species who have made a ton of wrong choices of their own free will while a loving Creator God beckons us to the safety of Himself and even more so when we face sufferings of all kinds.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall ever being angry with God for my suffering. And I know Jesus suffered greatly, I wouldn't say He should suffer the same fate as I. Yes, He does know what it feels like.

I think that the very biggest charge for unbelievers is 'Why does God allow suffering if He is a loving God?' I just don't think that they account for the things in the world that are brought on by our own sin. We've turned our back on God collectively, but we want Heaven on Earth in spite of this. Such a sense of 'entitlement.'

In thinking this over a bit, it makes me wonder something. If we, as a human race, all are descendants of Adam and Eve, IS there such a thing as a 'generational curse?' Have things grown worse and worse as sin after sin is committed? At first look, it would certainly seem so. The thing is, the world had more than it's share of evil and horror in the Bible, as well.

It makes me wonder, as well, about natural disasters. We haven't respected our planet that God gave us. I heard some posit that natural disasters or disease is a judgment from God. For instance, plenty of Christians have thought that AIDS was created by God to punish those with same-sex relations. Or, Hurricane Katrina was because of the sin in New Orleans. And, as members of JC know, NOLA is a rather decadent city.

I heard discussion of something years ago. I wasn't swayed to definitely believe, but I was curious. You know how everything in the natural world is made up of energy? Including us. Well, is it possible that the sin and negative energy expended over years and decades have shaped our environment? Some of you may think I have 'lost it', but energy goes somewhere. Just something to think about.

Some good posts and things to look at this week, PK.

Anonymous said...

PK, when you speak of wanting God to understand our suffering it brings me back to a time in my life. I was actually watching a CNN special tonight about illegal immigrants. It took me back in time.

In 2003, I was at a desperate time in my life. I can't go into the details, but it was out of my hands. I was out on the street for a week and no one in my family knew where I was. The thing is, as I watched this documentary on people from Mexico, it brought me back to that time.

It was people from Mexico that helped me. They gave me food and a place to sleep for a couple of nights. I am not talking about one family, either. It was 4 different people that helped me. They did not know the first thing about me, but they extended their hand to me. I can never forget the kindness, as Jesus could not. I found my inn to lay my head.

I simply HAVE to say, I work with a huge variety of people every day. The most unassuming and humble are those of Mexican descent. I don't know how many are 'illegal', but I love their ways. They are kind, respectful and just a pleasure to serve.

If you haven't already guessed, I am in favor of immigration reform.