Saturday, May 10, 2014

FEEDONE

On my recent trip to Haiti I witnessed some of the after-affects of the hurricane that struck this island nation four years ago.  Estimates of the number of fatalities are in the six figures.  As a result the country was devastated, homes and valuables were forever lost, many children became orphaned -- years later still grasping even for one day's meal.

My visit took me to various schools and orphanages -- and to the distribution center for Convoy of Hope -- which feeds 100,000 Haitians a day.

During the stay I was made aware of the FeedOne ministry, part of Convoy.

Mother Teresa said: 'If you can't find a hundred, just feed one.'  Food and water is something most Americans take for granted.  But in many countries, daily bread is not assumed.  And that shouldn't be.

FeedOne partners with people like you and me in order to bring nutrition and sustenance to places like Haiti.  Ten dollars a month is all it costs to feed one child in Haiti for one month.  That's a couple of Starbucks and that's remarkable.  Ten dollars -- one child -- food for a month.

The really cool thing about FeedOne is that our church gets the opportunity to help, support, feed and bless ONE PARTICULAR COMMUNITY in Haiti.  Our resources don't go to random, unknown locations in Haiti, but to one specific place.  In the case of Journey Church, that place is called Mixte Mamaliga, a school of 600 K-6 graders just north of the capital, Port-Au-Prince.  Those are some of the Mamaliga students in the pic.

They're waiting for us to make the connection now.

The amazing bonus to this partnership is that FeedOne is making it possible for Journey Church to visit this exact location next year to work on their school and love on the very same kids we're supporting.

Here's a video I made while I was there ...



This is the call of God on our lives, Journey Church -- to be sacrificial, to love widows and orphans, to help the poor, to bring Jesus to the under-resourced and to let our light shine.  Let's make it happen.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome outreach and commitment to the village. It is hard to even imagine that $10 a month would feed anyone. When I fret over things in my life, I really do try to remind myself that my problems are 'first-world problems'.