Saturday, April 5, 2014

DESIRABLES

I wonder if you'd just indulge me for a moment.  Would you get out a piece of paper and a pencil right now.  I really need you to do this because it's very important.  Before you read on, get a pencil and some paper.

I'll wait here while you do that . . . . . .



















Yes, I'm still here.  Just waiting.


















Do you have it yet?

You do?

OK.

Here's what I want you to do with it.  Write down the names of three people you're better than.

Ready, GO.





















Did you do it yet?




















I need to make sure you actually did it.  I have time.  Go ahead . . . . . .






















OK.

Now just hold that for a minute while you read on.

My high school wasn't just divided into freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors.  It was segmented according to sub-classes:  Italians ... jocks ... geeks ... cute girls ... all the other girls ... brainiacs ... music and drama people ... rich kids ... poor kids ... loners ... stoners ... Black ... non-Italian white ... Hispanic ... Asian ... it was brutal, frankly.

But then I graduated.  Freedom.

Oops.  Wait.  No.

I soon realized that high school didn't have the market on creating sub-classes.  It was going on everywhere in the adult world, too.

Here's the unsavory little secret about me and you --- we all keep published and unpublished lists of who the desirables and undesirables are.  We all do.

So, go back to that list you just made.  Do you think you're better than they?

"Of course I don't.  How ridiculous."

But we do, but in very civilized ways.  We create boxes and put labels on them and then put people in those boxes.

It's so un-Jesus.

Go back to your little list now.  Look at it again.

Again, I'll wait.
























Now, here's what you do.

Tear up that list.
Set it on fire (safely).
Take a hammer and nail a thousand holes into it.
Rip it into micro-pieces.

And then ... repent and love your neighbor as yourself.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...all I can say is I am speechless. Such a powerful message. I am struggling to figure out who I am better than. I have this addiction and that is bad enough. I think that I do have this list, though. I deal with the public and I admit that I have times when I think someone is a "low-life". You may not even post this, but this is the God's honest truth. I probably am worse off than they are. I wish God would wave His magical wand and make me different. I feel so lost and alone.

Anonymous said...

I know this isn't exactly about this post, but it deeply shakes my spirit. I DO believe every single thing in this song. I mean that with all my heart. I needed to share that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsNkDd4zYc

Please listen, you won't be sorry...